Carnival Glory Cruise Review by Morhoyle51: Avoid the arcade!

Morhoyle51
Member Since 2012
1 Post

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Canada & New England Cruises

Avoid the arcade!

Sail Date: August 2012
Destination: Canada & New England
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

We enjoyed our vacation on the Glory, and I would like to share a few items that were memorable, and some that need improvement. I am a grandmother traveling with my 34 year old daughter and 9 year old grandson. I have cruised for fifty years and have sailed over a dozen ships. embarkation was easier but could have been quicker had Luis at Carnival phone extention number 82687 told me that I had VIP boarding. I was not informed and we stood on all the lines and turned at the appropriate poles like mice in a maze for no reason. I suggest asking Carnival if you have VIP boarding or if you can get VIP boarding prior to your cruise to save yourself the trouble. This was my grandson's first cruise, and it was important for me that he have a good time as I would like to plan a family reunion and bring him on our next cruise and future cruises thereafter. When we set foot on the ship my grandson smiled and said "I have just found my new happy place!". The ship was beautiful and our More room was clean.Our steward Nenja introduced himself and never failed to address my grandson by name every day. I was impressed by the bedding which was comfortable. I have been on ships where it would have been better to sleep on the floor than the bed. Problem was, grandson's bed, which was a sofa, was still a bed during the day, so you had to sit on the beds all day to have a conversation or eat room service. That could be better. No plastic bag liners in the garbage cans..this is a new thing I started to notice in Atlantic City resorts last year. I guess it is a money saving issue, but makes guests feel uncomfortable. The cabin was on the warm side the entire cruise although we called for A/C service, and stayed overly warm. Bring a nine inch fan. I bring one on every cruise. The fan noise also drowns out any hall noise.Invaluable! I only brought my noise machine, so was out of luck this cruise. The television viewing options were scarce. I had tv news withdrawal.

The first night's show was twenty minutes of song and dance and an hour of " where are you from?". During the dancing the lights were turned off on the background dancers and there was only a light on the front performer, which I found annoying. Why have them on stage if you don't want me to see them? We skipped the next night's show and saw the comedian, whom we enjoyed. Loved the magic also.

We got our sign and sail cards punched in the casino, although the casino employee refused to punch grandson's card as he was too young to gamble. He then gave us free lanyards. This really made my cruise, as I love free stuff. Then we went to the ship info counter and asked for free playing cards. They gave us three decks. I was in heaven! Later we taught Grandson how to play gin on deck, which was great fun. Get used to going to the info deck, as you will not get them (humans) on the phone from the cabin. No option, just recordings of "you can look that answer up on your paperwork!".

The trolley tour of Saint John was one hour. Perfect. Grandson loved the trolley. All went well. We shopped a little in town, and found a cute candy store.
We walked back to the ship and had lobster lunch at a lobster restaurant across from where the ship docked. It was expensive and the lobster tail unchewable.

In Halifax we went on the 3 hour Halifax City Tour, which should be renamed The Halifax City Tour from Hell. It was awful and a big waste of money. Being three we sat in the back of the bus, and found ourselves opening and closing the door to the bus bathroom the whole tour. The tour is basically driving around, with a half hour of walking through a garden, and a half hour of walking through a cemetery. You can't wait it out on the bus, as it is shut off and a hot box. We stopped at the Citadel, but were told we only had ten minutes, and could only look at the outside, not go in. Really? Worse...none of the stops on this tour have a bathroom, so everyone has to use the bus bathroom. OMG. If you enjoy peeing on a bus, or enjoy seeing people line up to pee on a bus, this tour is for you. otherwise, avoid this tour!!! New rule for us.....no tours over one hour.

The last sea day I wanted Grandson to have a great time and my daughter and I took him to the arcade. There is NOT ONE chair for parents to sit while their children play. Daughter went to pick up photos (photos were beautifully done but pricey), I got Grandson a pile of play coins and told him I would sit right outside the arcade and wait for him as I have a weak knee. He was so happy. To my horror he walked out of the arcade ten minutes later clutching his game iphone while two larger teenaged boys demanded that he give them "their" phone back. Being a NJ high school teacher twenty years, I sprung to my feet and asked what they were doing to my grandson. "oh, we were just kidding" they replied and they took off. Soothing my grandson he told me that they also took his game coins. I was livid. All the things I had feared...it never occurred to me that other passenger's children were dangerous. Here was my poor grandson being bullied by these teenagers! I walked around the deck until I finally found a crew member. Nobody at the arcade. I alerted security and asked them to review the security tapes. They didn't have any! No security tapes in the arcade. Officer Erikkson was very nice, but could do nothing. I was charged for the games anyway. Nice touch. My daughter told me that the day before she had visited the arcade and teenagers had demanded she buy them game coins. So much nerve! Some of these cruise kids feel very entitled and it is good to stay away from the arcade for that reason.
I haven't mentioned food because it is Carnival. It is food. Loved the butter curry chicken at the welcome aboard lunch. Many Indian people on board, more than I have seen before, and they seem to make an effort to serve Indian food, which I liked. We mostly ate in the dining room. The hollandaise sauce on the eggs is a solid...avoid that. There is no whole grain bread, just white bread white rolls. The tea time is a joke. No white gloves or tea food, just hard cookies. No scones or clotted cream. The platinum dining room shuddered at dinner from the engines when we departed, but...hey...we are on a ship. Life is good.

I forgot to mention that the closets in our stateroom smelled so bad...like filthy laundry. Bring febreeze..

I was disappointed to see the Olympics on the big outdoor movie screen the entire cruise. Not one outdoor night time movie...I will stick to Princess for that. Princess shows new movies and hands out warm blankets, cookies and chocolate milk. We missed that at Carnival. No ice sculptures, no fruit carvings, no captain introducing himself, just your basic really basic cruise. I feel I got my money's worth, but no,no family reunion on this cruise line. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Glory Balcony Lido 9257

9257. closets stunk. Room hot. Enough room for three. Good location on ship.

City Tour

(1)
Terrible! no bathrooms on tour. You have to use the bus bathroom. All outdoor tour. You never enter anything..only walk around outdoors.

Trolley Tour

(5)
Nice short tour. We enjoyed ourselves very much. Gave us a good overview of the town.