Celebrity Millennium Cruise Review by Viperdiver: Definitely In My Top 5 Cruises

Viperdiver
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Celebrity Millennium Alaska Cruises

Definitely In My Top 5 Cruises

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

1. Try to do the Northbound version of this cruise as we did.The ports and attractions get better the further north you go, so the anticipation and enjoyment build throughout the cruise.

2. Don't miss spending an extra day or two in both Vancouver and Seward, two drastically different communities but both beautiful with plenty to offer.

3.We debated quite a bit about whether or not to pay the (substantial) premium to get a balcony and ended up going with an outside cabin. We were pleased with the choice-our window had a great view and was much warmer than the balcony (according to others we spoke to who booked balcony rooms).And we had more cash left over to spend ashore.

4. Kudos to Celebrity for buying us a complimentary bottle of wine after we (nicely) commented that one or two of the dining room meals weren't quite up to par.Truthfully, after now cruising with 5 different mass market cruise lines, we aren't convinced any one of then is markedly superior to More another in terms of food quality. But this demonstrated to us a level of interest in customer satisfaction that we hadn't seen before.

5.The morning you visit the Hubbard Glacier, make sure you get there at the start. We were scheduled to be there from 7 am to 11 am, but by 9:30 the ship was heading away from the glacier. And I found that the best combination of viewing and keeping warm was on the pool deck, with my head out of the sliding windows so I could hear as well as see the glacier calving.

6. Do bring layers of clothing, but probably you can mostly leave your shorts and short sleeved shirts at home.

7. At Icy Point, if you walk into the town of Hoonah there is a great little bar close to town that sells big Dungeness crab for $15 each. Who needs to eat when onshore when you are on a cruise, but my wife and I split one because it was too good a deal to pass up. Awesome!

8. Consider renting a car in Skagway (but book it in advance if you do). The Klondike highway is beautiful, you can stop when and for how long you want (for example, we stopped to watch a Grizzly cub foraging just off the side of the road) and if you have at least two to share the cost, it's an economical way to go. It was our best day ashore by far.And the Red Onion Saloon is a blast too.

9. Not sure if all Celebrity cruises do it, but I really liked the "Celebrity Life" series of lectures on such things as the galley tour, ships navigation etc. They also did a lecture on Marilyn Monroe (it being the 50th anniversary of her death) that was very well done. A bit of a change from all of the regular cruise ship "stuff" (which they also had). Less

Read more Celebrity Millennium cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Millennium Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Millennium Oceanview Stateroom Continental Deck (2) 2172

It had a smaller window, but it had a "well" in front of it that allowed one person to sit in the well and have a bird's eye view of the passing scenery. My wife, who wanted to book a balcony cabin, instead wound up very pleased to have booked the cheapest category of outside cabin.