Norwegian Jewel Cruise Review by davidmarq: NCL Jewel to Alaska

NCL Jewel to Alaska

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

All I have to say was it was amazing other than for few hiccups. I am not much of a writer but will give it my best.

Advice first off if you do this cruise or any Alaskan cruise get a balcony it is worth the extra money we spent most of the time on it if we were in our stateroom the views are awesome saw bald eagles, whales icebergs and absolutely picturesque scenes. Second if you're gonna be cheap don't do this cruise.

Pros.
We ate at the pay restaurants every night except one when we were in Victoria. A few hints here if you book a 530 or 600 resv they will give you a free bottle of wine so basically its a wash on the cost of the meal. Plus they aren't crowded than and if you are child free or need a little break from the mob come off the cash and eat at these restaurants you won't be sorry.
I pre bought the soda package from NCL which was great until I found out it didn't include juice so just fyi make sure you ask for that if you want juice(its free in More the morning with breakfast) it's about 75$ for both.
Do excursions you won't be sorry also don't be cheap they are once and a lifetime adventures. We did the following and loved them all.

1. The Glacier Trek in Juneau loved it Took helicopter and landed on the glacier and hiked for 2 hours no words can describe it its very expensive but an absolute must you will never forget it. 449 a person used northstar trekking. A++

2. Musher Camp in Skagway. We have 3 huskies so we are dog people but all will enjoy this tour. Lots of puppies and a great ride behind 14-16 sled dogs was on dirt/rock road but inmo just as good as a ride on snow at a fraction of the cost. 150 a person A++

3. Klondike rock climbing and repelling. Another winner here at a great price. Def want to be in shape and not to afraid of heights that being said trust in your guide and most of all your gear the gear they use is top notch and climbing gear has such crazy safety factor built in you are totally safe. 99$ a person A++

4. Buchart Gardens picnic and fireworks. It was a low key tour. Paid a little more than I think it was worth esp since we didn't get to see the fireworks. So I would give this tour a C $169

Ship was great out steward was awesome and the rest of the crew was very attentive.

Only con is the whole ship board charging thing but it's a necessary evil I guess. Only recommendation is to pre pay for as much of your excursions, tips and other cost before the cruise if you can it will make the cuisse a little less stressful from that situation.

i am sure i could write more but i will leave it at this for now!! Less

Read more Norwegian Jewel cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jewel Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jewel 11002

We had a mini suite and loved it.

Trekking

(5)
expensive but a must a must a must!!!! Do it.

shopped and walked to the totem heritage museum worth the 5 bucks. great little town.

Pike Place Market

busy but a must!!

Space Needle

(5)
Dinner was awesome $$$ but the view was amazing and the food was top notch.

Dog Sledding

(5)
Puppies Puppies Puppies a great fun for all.

Rock Climbing

(5)
Loved it other than the chick who complained about repelling and climbing that took time away from my climbing and repelling. But not the guides fault.