Diamond Princess Cruise Review by FriendlyAllen: Diamond Princess shines

Diamond Princess shines

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

Recently I took a 14 day journey from Vancouver to Vancouver with my wife. We're in our mid-30's and enjoying cruising life. We gone in 6 cruises now with Princess since our first in 2010. You could say we're hooked. We found the Diamond Princess ship A+ and a toss up for the best. We really liked the Island Princess, but the cozy Club Fusion on the Diamond with it's 40+ big screen televisions and a large dance floor was a big winner. There's no International Cafe or food on Princess ships after 11pm, so that's sort of a downer.

If you go to Alaska, being there 3 times now on Princess, College Fijords and Juneau are my favorite travel locations. College Fijords blows Glacier Bay away in terms of excitement with wildlife and glacier fun. We did whale watching in Juneau with an independent company called Orca Enterprises. I found that the staff really loved what they were doing. It was worth the excursion cost. Juneau has plenty of free stuff to do: hiking, taking More the 1 hour city bus to Mendenhall Glacier for 2 bucks is an experience in itself!

I found the game shows on the Diamond Princess to be top notch. I loved the cruise director. He sings and acts in the game shows. (He's great!) Deputy cruise director Dan Appleby is a British guy that gets the crowds riled up with good humor. Diamond's Yes/NO game, Liar's club, marriage game show, and majority rules are not to be missed. Arrive early to get good seats! I enjoyed the trivia every morning on the "Wake Show" that the cruise director and deputy cruise director co-hosted.

We love to dance. Singular Duo was our favorite two piece band ever. New Deal was the party band and they we so relaxed and happy together. It was nice. Also, there was a quartet that were good, but we enjoyed the music of the first two bands so much that we never spent much time with the quartet.

A couple things troubled me about the cruise. 1. on the first night there was a message on my pillow that said "Sweet dreams and happy shopping." It really made me angry... I'm on a ship to relax, not shop. 2. All food on the ship ends at 11pm (except room service which I won't call) 3. wave generator in adult pool broke and it was not fixed the entire cruise

A couple highlights of the cruise/ship: 1. I felt things were spread out on the Diamond - I never felt congested 2. I liked the Alaskans they brought on board to tell us about Alaska - Libby Riddles - dogsled champion and a professional story teller in Skagway. 3. I felt the food is getting better - more ethnic choice - in particular, a mexican, polish, and indian food night... also, they made falafel one time at lunch 4. pools were usually warmer than air temperature - like hot tubes sometimes

If you're taking the Diamond Princess to Alaska this summer, you're not going to be disappointed. Have travels and good weather to you on your cruise! Less

Read more Diamond Princess cruise reviews >>