Norwegian Dawn Cruise Review by Tatiou: Boston to Bermuda - NCL DAWN

Boston to Bermuda - NCL DAWN

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Bermuda
Embarkation: Boston

My partner set out to sail on July 27th from Boston. Boarding the vessel was relaxed, fast and easy. After walking around for about 45 minutes, we decided to have lunch in the Venetian; one of many lunches and dinners there (more on this later). At about 2 pm our stateroom was ready. We were in stateroom # 5118. Being that this stateroom was a connecting room, I was afraid that this could cause lots of noise but to my surprise, the room was quite quiet. We would sometimes hear a little "windy" noise which we believe to be the vacuum in the aqua dining room (located just above), this never woke us up or bothered us. The bathrooms are on the small side, but really you won't be spending the bulk of your time there. The room was clean, being a germ freak; I had brought a bit of cleaning towels (kills 99% germs) to do some extra "Cleaning" and besides from a little scrubbing this was pretty good for a "hotel"! The bed was very comfortable and the big picture window sure helped the room More feel more "open"! The room was centrally located and made it so you couldn't really feel the movement of the ship. The television was good with 18 channels (10 promoting the boat). On the plus side lots of good TV shows when you just feel like doing nothing.

Food on the boat was OK, nothing to write home about, but plenty of choice even for the most demanding of guests. We didn't have dinner in any of the paying (extra) restaurants but the Brazilian seems like a great hit (confirmed by friends we made on the boat). The buffet had different specialties every night and some safe bets. All in all plenty of choice, good food and variety, what could ask more? I did fall in love with one plate; the fruit plate offered by room service. I went through at least 2-3 per day. The fruits were just perfectly ripe and juicy. Presentation was nice and service was quick. Perfect for snacks in the morning, afternoon and evening (without the guilty feeling). Portion were on the smaller side in the dining room. If you're very hungry don't be shy and ask for seconds.

Bermuda is so beautiful. We could just move there. Heritage wharf is convenient for walking around, catching a bus, taxi, ferry or mini-van. On our first day we meet Donna at the wharf and she drove us to Horseshoe Bay (yes at the bottom of the hill) for 6 dollars. A taxi ride is $28 to $35 dollars depending on traffic and time.

Our second day was spent walking Hamilton (about 1 hr) took the bus to the crystal caves (27$ both caves) and then on to St George to visit the town and go to a nearby beach. We took the last ferry back at 6h30 to heritage wharf.
Day 3 was spent visiting the museum and the small beach close to the royal navy dockyard. Very nice, clean and surprisingly not too crowded.

Our return to Boston was much slower than our way down. I would have enjoyed an extra day in Bermuda rather than the 2 1/2 days at sea. But I do understand that the cruise line makes more money when it's at sea!
Great vacation, great price and definitely recommended! Less

Read more Norwegian Dawn cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Dawn Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Dawn 5118

We were in stateroom # 5118. Being that this stateroom was a connecting room, I was afraid that this could cause lots of noise but to my surprise, the room was quite quiet. We would sometimes hear a little "windy" noise which we believe to be the vacuum in the aqua dining room (located just above), this never woke us up or bothered us. The bathrooms are on the small side, but really you won't be spending the bulk of your time there. The room was clean, being a germ freak; I had brought a bit of cleaning towels (kills 99% germs) to do some extra "Cleaning" and besides from a little scrubbing this was pretty good for a "hotel"! The bed was very comfortable and the big picture window sure helped the room feel more "open"! The room was centrally located and made it so you couldn't really feel the movement of the ship. The television was good with 18 channels (10 promoting the boat). On the plus side lots of good TV shows when you just feel like doing nothing.