Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by Murt1940: Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston

Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Charleston

Since I reside in Charlotte NC, our family was very excited to learn of the Carnival Fantasy Cruise Line ship out of Charleston, S.C. to the Bahamas. It is listed as a five night cruise, 2 sea days and 2 days in ports, Nassau and Freeport. Six of us booked the cruise.... My husband and myself, my daughter, her husband, and two children. We were in an inside cabin (all that was left) in cabin M209 which contained two single beds. My daughters family of four were in an inside cabin also with two single and beds and two pull out of the wall beds for the children. They were in cabin R171. We were able to easily drive to Charleston from our home City, Charlotte, NC early on the day of departure. We arrived at the Port ontime and got inline to park the car. Then we got in line to be bused to the port from the parking garage. Then we got into really long lines to check into the boat even though we had done online checkin prior to leaving.
We were assigned open seating for More dinner as the fixed time seating was sold out. When we attempted to go the assigned dining hall the line was at least 1- 1.5 hours long. We decided to try the alternate dining room and was told that was full also. We asked to be put on a wait list for early seating. They did accommodate us by the next evening for dining each night in the Jubilee Dining Room at 600 PM at an assigned table. This was quite nice. Too bad the food did not match. The service was good, but the food was very bad.
We went to the show the first night and were shocked to hear the performers sing. They were off key, the seating in the auditorium was poor and the visibility very poor. We did not enjoy the show at all, but not to worry, there wasn't another show until the last night of the cruise and it was equally as bad.
The shore excursion were so overpriced I was shocked at the prices. We got off of the boat ourselves in Nassau and took the ferry boat for $4 per person, right next to the ship over to Paradise island and walked to the Atlantis. We took a taxi back to the boat. This was $4 per person also...a great buy, that was not ever mentioned on the cruise ship.
Disembarkation was unbelievably long. We were advised to stay in our cabins until our numbers were called. From there we went to the Lounge to wait again until our numbers were called. From there we waited in another line for at least 1.5 hours to get our luggage and then get into a line to go through customs. We then waited in a line for a bus to take everyone to the one and only parking garage. Consequently our wait time was at least 2.5 hours total in 93 degree heat.
All in all I would never set foot on this boat again. I will add that there wasn't any disinfectant for the hands at all available on the boat, which I found unbelievable.
I have been on many cruises, most of them really nice...This has to be the Worst ship I have ever been on in my life. Nothing was ever replaced if you ran out of things. There aren't even hair dryers in the rooms. Also some elevators go on some floors, others only stop on different floors, be prepared to walk up and down a lot of flights as there are no elevators that go from ground to top...awful. Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>