Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by lareefun

Embarkation: Barcelona
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: T1

Solo traveler
I was on this ship back in February 2012 for a Caribbean cruise. I had a slight problem with the cabin, no shower door, just a curtain. Each day I was promised it would be fixed the next day. At the end of the cruise I was told the door would be replaced the following week. When I booked this cruise I wanted to see if the shower door had in fact been installed so I booked the same cabin on this cruise. Well the door still had not been installed. I was told it was on back order from the manufacturer in France and since it is a custom item it is taking a very long time to be delivered. The shower curtain was the same one I used on my February cruise, it kept falling down as it was velcro'd to the edge of the opening and the adhesive did not stick well in moist environments. I went to the customer service desk to ask about the door and was told it was still on order. Now here is where things start to get interesting. The customer service person called me later in the day to offer me another cabin, an inside cabin, I turned it down. I was fine with the one I had with the exception of the shower curtain. She then offered me dinner for 2 in a speciality restaurant of my choice and a bottle of wine, I accepted this and was able to split the speciality restaurant to 2 single visits to Le Bistro and Moderno. Antonio, the cabin steward contacted his supervisor who came to the cabin to see the problem, I made a couple of suggestions and a new shower curtain was installed, this time on a track. The new curtain was tried out, I found it to be a little too long and it covered up the drain, thereby filling up the shower tray and flooding the room a bit. I had learned from my February cruise to place a rolled up towel around the outside of the shower to contain any water, this helped to keep the water away from the carpeted area of the room. I called the supervisor and made a suggestion to cut the curtain to better fit the opening and to keep it away from the drain. So for the rest of the cruise I did not need the extra towels to keep the water off the floor, Yippy... The supervisor offered a dinner in a speciality restaurant, I took him up on his offer for a dinner at Teppanyaki.

I meet the head of the hotel department during a Latitudes welcome back event. He remembered me from the February cruise, I was coordinating the Cruise Critic activites for about 100 people on that cruise. He sent me a lovely hand written note, a bottle of wine and either chocolates or chocolate covered strawberries every evening.

All in all I was treated very well on this cruise. The only complaints I have were safety in nature. The ship is only a couple of years old and is showing a lot of wear and tear already. I found exposed wiring on the steps in the Epic Theater (safety lighting), missing rubber safety inserts on some of the outside stair cases. Chipped paint and rust showing on railings all over the ship. I did report these issues, just will have to take another cruise on the Epic to see if these have been addressed and of course if the shower door had finally been installed.

By the way I do not drink and I was able to exchange the 2 bottles of wine for 8 cans of soda.

Publication Date: 08/06/12