Norwegian Epic Cruise Review by lareefun: Solo traveler

Solo traveler

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

I was on this ship back in February 2012 for a Caribbean cruise. I had a slight problem with the cabin, no shower door, just a curtain. Each day I was promised it would be fixed the next day. At the end of the cruise I was told the door would be replaced the following week. When I booked this cruise I wanted to see if the shower door had in fact been installed so I booked the same cabin on this cruise. Well the door still had not been installed. I was told it was on back order from the manufacturer in France and since it is a custom item it is taking a very long time to be delivered. The shower curtain was the same one I used on my February cruise, it kept falling down as it was velcro'd to the edge of the opening and the adhesive did not stick well in moist environments. I went to the customer service desk to ask about the door and was told it was still on order. Now here is where things start to get interesting. The customer service person called me later in the day to offer me More another cabin, an inside cabin, I turned it down. I was fine with the one I had with the exception of the shower curtain. She then offered me dinner for 2 in a speciality restaurant of my choice and a bottle of wine, I accepted this and was able to split the speciality restaurant to 2 single visits to Le Bistro and Moderno. Antonio, the cabin steward contacted his supervisor who came to the cabin to see the problem, I made a couple of suggestions and a new shower curtain was installed, this time on a track. The new curtain was tried out, I found it to be a little too long and it covered up the drain, thereby filling up the shower tray and flooding the room a bit. I had learned from my February cruise to place a rolled up towel around the outside of the shower to contain any water, this helped to keep the water away from the carpeted area of the room. I called the supervisor and made a suggestion to cut the curtain to better fit the opening and to keep it away from the drain. So for the rest of the cruise I did not need the extra towels to keep the water off the floor, Yippy... The supervisor offered a dinner in a speciality restaurant, I took him up on his offer for a dinner at Teppanyaki.

I meet the head of the hotel department during a Latitudes welcome back event. He remembered me from the February cruise, I was coordinating the Cruise Critic activites for about 100 people on that cruise. He sent me a lovely hand written note, a bottle of wine and either chocolates or chocolate covered strawberries every evening.

All in all I was treated very well on this cruise. The only complaints I have were safety in nature. The ship is only a couple of years old and is showing a lot of wear and tear already. I found exposed wiring on the steps in the Epic Theater (safety lighting), missing rubber safety inserts on some of the outside stair cases. Chipped paint and rust showing on railings all over the ship. I did report these issues, just will have to take another cruise on the Epic to see if these have been addressed and of course if the shower door had finally been installed.

By the way I do not drink and I was able to exchange the 2 bottles of wine for 8 cans of soda. Less

Read more Norwegian Epic cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Epic Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Epic 12516

Studio cabin 12516, very near the studio lounge one floor up, can hear the toilet flush in the next cabin, but not too often. Can hear people passing by the door and can hear the passage door opening and closing. None of which was really bothersome at all. Other that the issue with a missing shower door replaced with a flimsy shower curtain, I would book this same cabin again. Hopefully the shower door will be installed when I next cruise on the Epic.

(3)
I booked a Rome on your own tour, then booked a dungeons tour of the Colosseum. I messed up on this one. The tour bus dropped me off at the Colosseum at 10 am. My tour was scheduled for 12:45. I was basically stuck at the Colosseum until my tour time. I wanted to see the Pantheon and a little Basilica behind it, but now did not have enough time. I had to find my own way to meet the bus at the Vatican, which cost me 20euros for a taxi ride. If I had chosen the guided Rome tour, I would have seen the Pantheon and the church. The location was not in the original tour description, this is why I booked the on your own tour instead. It is mostly my fault I did not see everything I wanted to see in this port of call, next time...
Read 101 Reviews

Monaco & Village of Eze

(3)
I was not really interested in seeing Monaco, but I did enjoy visiting St. Nicholas Cathedral and paid my respects at Prince Rainier and Grace Kelly's tombs. There was a lot of steep stairs on tour. I had to sit out the visit to Eze, a medieval city at the top of a mountain, only reachable by climbing many steeps. We also stopped at a Perfume factory, which was not on the tour description. I had to pass this one as well due to allergies. I could not even get near the building at this site. Not much free time to grab a bit to eat. Had to eat and run on this tour. For an 8 hour tour we spent a lot of time on the bus driving to one location to another.

Pisa Walking Tour

(4)
This one was better and exactly as expected. There were only 6 of us on this tour. The guide was helpful and informative. We had plenty of time to explore Pisa the town and the Miracle Square with the leaning tower. An imposing site when you turn the corner and see it for the first time. There were plenty of people doing the holding up the tower pose for an unforgettable picture. The scale of the building is not to be believed from photos or seeing them on TV.

I was looking for an excursion that would take me to Chateau D'ff. I could not find any tour company or an excursion with the ship. I was told I would need to take a shuttle to the town center, get a taxi to the new port, locate the ferry to the island. All the while not being able to speak a word of French. Most people I talked to did not even know what or where Chateau D'ff is. A prison made famous in the book "Count of Monte Cristo" by Dumas, which is now a museum. I was disappointed, but still found ways to enjoy the port.

Private Tour

(3)
Pompeii, Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast. We took a walking tour of Pompeii, drove to Sorrento, stopped to take a photo at a lookout point had lunch, then drove further up the Amalfi Coast, stopped to take a photo at another look out point then drove back to the ship. I was able to take a lot of pictures of the scenery through the bus window along the way. The tour was just OK, the guide informative. I would have liked more time on history and less time for shopping, just me I guess.