Celebrity Solstice Cruise Review by slewis7: First time cruise with Celebrity

First time cruise with Celebrity

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

This was my second time cruising the Mediterranean and my first time aboard Celebrity. The pricing seems too good to be true considering this cruise line was rated pretty highly. I have cruised on a good variety of cruise lines, even including 3 luxury class cruises as well as more family oriented low end cruises, so I had a pretty good idea what of what I was looking for. This Celebrity cruise met and exceeded pretty much all of those expectations.

The ship is pretty big with plenty of ammenitis, but the public areas never felt overly crowded. The ship itself was beautiful, clean and very well maintained. We lucked out on our cabin assignment by getting a wheelchair accessible room which is bigger then a normal room. Service on board was spectacular and I loved the dinners in the main dining room. Lunch and breakfast buffets were pretty good. We did dine in the Asian style specialty restaurant (Silk Harvest) and I found the food to be mediocre. Entertainment on More board was typical cruise fare and I found it to be a mixed bag. The ports of call were excellent, although we had already visited about half of them. In the summer these ports are all very crowded and hot. After about half a day! we were always ready to head back to the ship.

Overall, our cruise experience with Celebrity was fantastic. I fully expect to cruise with them again. Less

Read more Celebrity Solstice cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Solstice Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Solstice 1538

The cabin was very spacious and comfortable. There was plenty of room in the bathroom; the most I ever experiencd on a cruise. This was likely because we ended getting assigned to a wheelchair accessible cabin. The balcony had plenty of room. The bed was quite comfortable. Most appreciated was the fact that the cabin was very quiet and there were no engine vibrations. Our location was a very short walk to elevators and was ideal. Everything related to the cabin was about as good as it could get.

Acropolis

(3)
It is incredibly hot and crowded around the Acropolis. Be sure to wear good shoes as the marble surface is quite slippery. The ship tour stopped at a crummy gift shop of course; no more ship tours for me from now on. The saving grace of the tour is that the Acropolis is truly spectacular.

We had already been to Ephesus (highly recommended) so we just walked around town near the port.
Read 356 Kusadasi Reviews

Jeep Tour

(2)
The half day drive around the island in the jeep was more like a scenic tour of road construction. The stops (a decent beach, Popeye Village, a scenic stop) were mediocre and I found the drive to be quite hot and boring. The driver was nice enough and he dropped us off near town rather then back at the port; otherwise I considered this tour a complete bust.

This is a lovely port for just walking around town.
Read 376 Mykonos Reviews

Private Tour

(5)
We took a fantastic private tour of Capri including the not-to-be-missed Blue Grotto. It was a great experience and worth the splurge.

Very hot and crowded this time of year. We took the hour plus train ride from the port in the morning and it was packed. The Metro in Rome made it easy to get around town. We visited the Forum and the Colosseum and headed back to the ship after lunch.

Volcano Hiking

(4)
We had already been to Santorini, so this hiking and swimming tour was a perfect way to spend a half day. This was good for a ship's tour.