Carnival Sensation Cruise Review by Sparky1961: Sensation 7/29/12 to 8/2/12

Sensation 7/29/12 to 8/2/12

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

This was our first cruise, cruised with my wife and our 2 adult children. Generally enjoyed the cruise. The Bahamas were wonderful, spent the day in Freeport at the Grand Lucaya Resort, the taxi was $10 round trip per person. Day passes at the resort were $10 per person which includes full use of the facility including the pool, deck chairs, beach and beach chairs. Place was beautiful and it was the nicest beach I have ever been on and the water was calm and crystal clear. The second port was Nassau, very nice had a wonderful lunch at Twin Brothers at the Fish Fry. The people were very friendly, just be aware if you have trouble saying no to people selling services and items, you will be hounded everywhere you go.

We were a little annoyed at Carnival. When we first booked the cruise it was to be overnight in Nassau, then they changed it to leaving at 5:00pm the same day. We were fine with that but we found a excursion at night for a beach bonfire and bar-b-que which looked More like a lot of fun but couldn't book it because of the early departure. We found out the night before Nassau that they added the overnight back. Was never informed until we saw the Fun Times. Our itinerary that I printed the night before we left still stated a 5:00pm departure. We had already booked a different excursion. Not the end of the world but we would of enjoyed the bar-b-que.

Now the ship, we had 2 rooms across from each other my wife and I had a outside stateroom and our kids had an inside stateroom. The cabin was a good size for 2 people and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The kids steward was fantastic very attentive and she helped me with a couple of items. I saw the steward for our cabin once because I happen to come back to the room to get something, other than that never saw a hide or hair of him.

The ship was okay, a bit old and outdated. I felt nickel-ed and dimed on a few things. Like bottled water, the ships water was terrible in my opinion. Also the casino charges a 3% service fee if you use your S&S at a table in lieu of cash. Why????? Everything else is S&S so I did not have any cash on me at the time.

The food was good for the most part. We had anytime dining and had to eat in the Fantasy Dining Room. I will say this, the service is terrible. Very slow, language barrier with some of the wait staff resulted in some miscues and not very attentive. Food did not come out together and if you ordered an alternate side such as a baked potato which is on the menu, you might still be waiting for it.

For a first cruise we did have a lot of fun. Next time I think we'll try a higher class ship or a different cruise line. Hope this review helps, thanks for reading. Less

Read more Carnival Sensation cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Sensation Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Sensation Oceanview Main

Sea World Explorer

(2)
They take you on a boat out to a glass bottom boat. Ride out was nice the tour guide "Slim" was funny and informative pointing out things along the way and gave a little history lesson on the Bahamas. Glass bottom boat was fun seeing the reefs and different fish. The the take you back to port and you get on a bus for a brief, little, miniscule tour of Nassau. The bus takes you on a 10 minute ride, pointing out some historic buildings along the way, to a fort and straw market for 20 minutes of shopping. The its back in the bus for a 5 minute ride back to where you started, pointing out some more historic building along the way. IMO it was not worth the money. The boat part was nice but the bus part was a waste.