Carnival Dream Cruise Review by arrosen: A good time was had by all

arrosen
Member Since 2004

Family & Children 1.5

Compare Prices on Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruises

A good time was had by all

Sail Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We were aboard the Dream sailing to the Eastern Caribbean on July 28, 2012.

EMBARKATION: We arrived at around noon, and went through the embarkation process relatively quickly. We were on board within 20 minutes, and went right to our room which we were told was ready.

ROOM: Our room was HUGE. We booked category 4J - inside with an obstructed view window. The room we received was an accessible room. There were 4 of us, and the room was very comfortable. I don't know if it was the fact that it was accessible, but the room was about twice the size of the balcony room my parents were in, right down the hall.

The window looked onto a walkway and straight out to the front of the ship. Although anyone on the walkway could see into our room, there was NEVER anyone there. It was quite a secluded walkway that only led to a similar walkway on Deck 9. The only way to get there was to walk down the long indoor hallways to the front of the ship on decks 9 or 10, More and once you were out there, there were no amenities...just a walkway with a single bench.

FOOD: Overall, the food was adequate. The Steakhouse was excellent as was the Mongolian Wok, the Tandoori station and the Deli. Everything else (including the main dining room) was just average. We didn't starve (by any means!), but nothing else was worthy of note. Note that Iced Tea, Lemonade, ice cream, frozen yogurt, pizza (including Caesar salads) and room service is available 24 hours a day. Also note that the floor in the buffet area is constantly being mopped, and is ALWAYS slippery. Make sure to hold on, even in calm seas.

ENTERTAINMENT: It is a mixed bag here. The comedians were HILARIOUS...loved them ALL, even Jeff the "Fun Dude" who was a bit annoying. They "big" shows in the Encore Lounge were just OK, although many people seemed to really love them. I would rate the show band a 10/10, the singers a 8/10 and the dancers a 5/10. The dancers sort of ruined the whole thing for me. Although some of them could dance, most weren't graceful, and they didn't dance "in sync"...it appeared that many could not keep the beat to the music and was like watching a Junior High School dance group. Cory, the cruise director, and Brittany, the asst cruise director, were great and very accessible. The other entertainment (contests, game shows, etc.) were enjoyable.

POOL AREA: Ever seen 2,000 people around a backyard pool? That is sort of what is like on the Dream. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed the 2 pool areas...they are both completely inadequate for this size ship. Both the pools seem about the same size, and are smaller than the average backyard pool and the number of lounge chairs and umbrellas is completely inadequate. Further, there is really no other outdoor areas where one can go and relax. There are chairs all around deck 5 (the only other outdoor deck) as well as 4 hot tubs, but there are no services, drinks or food there. Also note that there are high walls all around deck 5 (so you can't fall off the ship!), but this also blocks most of the air flow, and it feels a bit stifling on the deck, especially on the sunny side.

On the plus side, I really enjoyed watching the Olympics (we sailed during the 2012 Summer Olympics)and Toy Story 2 on the huge outdoor screen (when I could find a seat!)

WaterWorks (The water slide area) is fun, but the ground is VERY slippery...law-suit slippery. Not only did I slip and fall (I'm fine and no, I'm not suing!), but I saw many other people fall, including one elderly gentleman who whacked his head on the desk. I'm not sure why they don't fix this!

PORTS: We went to Nassau, St. Thomas and St. Martin. The Bahamas was a mess because there were 4 HUGE ships there at the same time...over 14,000 people in the little illage. It was way too crowded for me. We enjoyed St. Thomas and St. Martin, but had too little time there. The ship should stay at each port for at least an additional 3-4 hours.

DEBARKATION: Painless. Went to the gangway when our number was called, and was through customs in about 15 minutes. Less

Read more Carnival Dream cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Dream Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Dream Interior Lido 10201

10201 - HUGE accessible cabin. Lots of room - about the size of a regular hotel room. Bathroom is also very large. Outside room, but inside room category (4J). There is an obstructed view of the front of the ship...same view as the captain! I would definitely book this room again.

Beach Break