Oriana Cruise Review by patnlcc: Lots of 'ticks' but lots of 'crosses' too

Lots of 'ticks' but lots of 'crosses' too

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Southampton

Just back from a 7 day to the Norwegian fjords. First time with P&O but we have cruised with several cruislines, so we have something to compare them with.

Embarkation - long queues, unavoidable when 1800 people are boarding, but they dealt very efficiently with everyone.

Cabin - very well designed. Loads of storage, in fact I didn't use some of the drawers. Adequate number of hangers. Just one glass bedside the small fridge so I asked the cabin steward for a second one. He said that wasn't his department and I should phone room service. I also requested ice for our ice bucket (thick dust on top of it). I'm still waiting. Balcony furniture ancient and cushions badly stained. Hubby dropped his cruisecard down the side of the sofa so we pulled off the cushions to look for it. Yukk ! Food scraps - it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. Similarly, a pull-out surface just under the fridge for pouring drinks etc - thick with crumbs. I passed a steward in the corridor who was More putting glasses into cabins and I asked him for one. He said no !! Said I would need to get one from my own steward !!

Food - good, not great. Main dining room (Pensinsular) best. Unacceptable amounts of queuing in The Conservatory for both breakfast and lunch. People standing with trays of food, unable to find a seat. They are very keen on hygiene and insist on clean trays and fresh plates every time you go up, yet we saw a waiter cleaning the kick-plates under the tables and the table-tops with the same cloth.

Entertainment - outstanding. The young theatre company called The Headliners were fabulous and they worked their socks off. Individual cabaret acts good. Celeste the singer in the Crows' Nest bar was excellent. Chaplins Cinema is superb.

Port lectures were all given on the same day.

Daytime classes/lectures - lots of 'medical' issues eg acupuncture class, how to deal with fluid retention, back pain etc. No cookery classes.

Other points - small things but nevertheless annoying. My husband goes to the gym every day. They kept running out of towels. He had to take one from the cabin with him. Shop ran out of bags to put purchases in. Long queues to reboard in all ports to get through ship's security.

We enjoyed the cruise very much and Norway was lovely. Weather was great.

Sadly, the small niggles add up, and we won't be sailing with P&O again. Less

Read more Oriana cruise reviews >>