Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by Luc: Pretty much as expected

Pretty much as expected

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

We have just returned from a 12-day cruise on the Carnival Breeze. Sailing date was Saturday the 21 of July. Family of 4 (2 boys aged 8 and 14), 2 connecting cove balcony stateroom; 2369 and 2371. This was about my 18 cruise (not counting anymore), a first time on a Carnival ship. Most recent cruises have been with RCCL but I have sailed many times with Princess and I also been on Norwegian, Costa, Celebrity and Oceania.

I had read and received many comments on Carnival about the not so great food and services but since the Breeze was brand new, the itinerary was amazing (great ports and 4 days at seas which gave us time to relax and the kids time to enjoy all the things to do on the ship) and price was unbeatable, I finally decided to give Carnival a try. Overall, it was ok, there great things and things that were not to my expectations:

Ship overall: 4/5
-Brand new ship !

Embarkation and disembarkation: 4/5
We arrived at 11h30 and it took us about More 40 minutes to get in. We, like always, disembark on our own and it took us about 20 minutes from our stateroom to the taxi.

Ports of call: 5/5
Perfect ports to show Europe to your kids.

Pools: 1/5
-2 pools on a ship of about 3700 guests, what were they thinking ?

Lounge chairs: 1/5
-Do you like to get up at 6am to ensure you get a chair around the pool area ? On the first day at sea, it was around 8h30 and we had a real hard time to find 4 chairs on the whole ship ! I have never experienced this on any cruise before.

Waterslide & Sportsquare: 5/5
Kids had a great time.

Shows & entertainment: 4/5
Great productions & good live music.

Seaside theatre: 2/5
They have a great screen but most of the time during the day they use it to sale their video of the cruise.....

Spa: 4/5
Good treatments but pricy as always.

Stateroom: 4/5
Good size, good stateroom stewardess. In our stateroom 2371, very noisy in the evening as I believe above us was some kitchen facilities.

Lido marketplace (buffet): 2/5
The decor is nice but that's about it. Do you like line-up's in the morning to get your breakfast ? I'm not an engineer but don't they have enough experience with prior ship to better organize the food stations ? For lunch and dinner: limited selection.

Pizza station: 2/5
Hungry for pizza ? Get in line ! I had it once, its good but why do they put only 2 guys to take the orders, prepare, cook and serve.....

Guy's Burger Joint: 5/5
Amazing burgers and no line-ups !

Bluelguana Cantina: 5/5
Great burritos, specially for breakfast

Sapphire dining room: 2/5
Food: its ok, just ok. Presentation could be better and food hotter. Taste: hits and misses.
Service: they were nice and doing their best but...rush rush rush, quick quick quick. Don't expect them to serve your wine. Breakfast was very good.

Steakhouse (Fahrenheit 555): 4/5
Very expensive (35$ p/p), but very good. Service is better than in the dining room.

Bonsai sushi: 4/5
Very fresh and very good.

Overall rating 3/5

We got what we paid for. Happy to finally have tried Carnival after 20 years of cruising. But unless I am really strap for cash, I will not be back with Carnival. Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>