Carnival Victory Cruise Review by jordee: We Had Fun; But Off The Ship

We Had Fun; But Off The Ship

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

We had great weather! However, I did not spend much money on the ship, my tab for me and granddaughter's room including the mandatory tips was only $288! The adult children found things to do in the evening, but I went to my room, or the on the deck, and did not participate in ships corny activities.

Our balcony cabin was near the atrium elevators on the 8th floor and we had to endure terrible singing most nights till midnight coming below from the main piano bar on deck 3. It sounded like cats meoling through the grate in the door.

We thought the food was OK, my sons loved the burgers late night while it was open. We ate in the Pacific dining room every night and our party of 6 had a nice side table by the window.

We hated the lines in the morning so then we started eating breakfast n the dining room.
The room was clean with spacious showers, plenty of storage and hangers; but no fridge.

St. John--Hired driver to give us a 1 hour tour of the main More sights/beaches and then he took us to "Secret Bay" Beach. We saw only one other party from the ship. Uncrowded and lovely with a restaurant and rentals.

Barbados- A family friend picked us up for a tour and rum shop stop in the hills and then we went to "Brandon's Beach". Uncrowded and near the ship. Had great Roti's at Chefette.

St. Lucia--We took a shared van to Reduit Beach. Loved the scenery and amenities and beach but too many people bugging you to buy stuff. We would return.

St. Kitts--I walked the downtown area market and stores and then we took a shared van with short tour to Cockleshell Beach. Lovely and so scenic, uncrowded and free chairs.

St. Martin--We took the water taxi to the beach area, and got what we thought was a good deal--2 water floaties, 2 chairs/umbrella, and 5 waters/beers for $20. We loved the local food there and would go back. More people bugging you to buy stuff.

San Juan --we booked Shoretrips.com old and new San Juan tour and transfer to airport. It was expensive but it was private and he took us where we wanted to go. We especially liked touring the local beach areas past the airport and we sampled lots of Rican street food. It was too hot to tour the fort and besides we wanted to get our moneys worth of sites for 3 hours.

We loved it overall, spent lots of money on the stops and it was so worth it. Apparently our ship was the only one coming in per week, so explains the zeal of the people to sell stuff.

I am tired of Carnival's repetitive entertainment, (hairy chest contest and expensive bingo???) with exception of the Carnival Dancer shows. That is why I did not spend a lot of money buying drinks. We are trying a different cruise line next time, and hope we can find one with lots of stops like this one. Give a 10 for the Victory itinerary, and a 7 for the ship because of the entertainment. Was nice to see the Olympics on the Lido deck screen. My 4 year old granddaughter loved the Camp Carnival when she went. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Balcony Verandah 8262

Near front atrium elevator; noisy at night from people getting off elevator. Singing and music from the lobby lounge can be heard clearly. Lots of space to unpack. Lots of hangers. No fridge, but steward supplied ice. Shower seemed more spacious than the Pride, and the Valor ships. Plenty hot water.