Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by PiperNY

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: 07
See More About: Celebrity Infinity Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Celebrity Cruise Deals

Loved Our Trip on the Infinity!
We had a wonderful vacation on the Infinity. Ian the Cruise Director was beyond excellent. The staff were all friendly and helpful. The ship officers were involved in many activities, which was nice. For instance, a couple of them compete against guests in games like trivia and dancing with the stripes. Bridge officers also give talks on various ship operations.

As many others have mentioned, the naturalist Brent Nixon was incredible. The #1 reason I'd recommend this Alaskan cruise. His passion is infectious, even for people who are not usually interested in nature talks. His wife, Miss Amanda, does historical talks, which were also good (and nice to get info about the ports you're about to stop at).

The Infinity was perfect for cruising through Alaska because it had so many areas to view the beautiful landscapes. Almost all of the eating and lounge areas had either floor to ceiling windows or big port holes giving you an unobstructed view of out the front, back, and sides of the ship. And there was plenty of deck space without glass to give you an open air view. The deck above the pool gives you nearly a 360 view. The captain also opened up the heliport at the front of the ship for cruising into Tracy Arm Fjord. Those views are spectacular though the downside is you can't hear Brent's narration from there.

Our veranda room had a decent amount of storage space. I appreciated the ample space to hang up clothes in the closet. There are only plugs by the balcony door (plus I'm guessing there was one in the bathroom, but I don't remember), so if you want to use the plug by the beds, bring an extension cord.

Bathroom was kept clean, but it seemed more like what I'd expect from a Day's Inn (this was my first cruise so I have nothing to compare it to). No body wash, so if you prefer to use liquid soap over bar soap, bring your own. There was a laundry line in the shower, which was really convenient. It detactched from the wall, so I often strung it through the bathing suits to dry since I didn't bring clothes pins.

Food in the Trellis dining room was good. Buffet food was average. The grand buffet was nice, but not as spectacular as people made it seem, mostly the same good we'd been having all week. As others have mentioned, it's not well advertised, only included in the dining hours. Ours was on the second sea day.

Just a couple things that could be improved (but none were deal breakers for me):

- I agree with others it would be nice to have the option to get announcements in the staterooms. We ended up propping our door open for gangway announcements, etc.

- Not many late night food options (with the exception of pizza, which is served until 1am). The biggest thing for me is no ice cream after 10pm (10:30pm on some late port days). 11pm or 12am seems like a normal time to want ice cream, especially on a cruise.

- Pool is only open til 10pm. At least let us have access to the indoor hot tubs and salt water pool until 11pm! After a long port day, I'd love to be able to eat dinner, see the entertainment show, and then relax in the hot tub before bed.

- Too many constant sales pitches. It's funny that Celebrity talks so much about being environmentally friendly when they send a constant stream of paper advertisements for the on-board stores and shopping events. Spa was ridiculous too. I didn't mind the option for add-on treatments when I signed in for my massage (just a small paper attached to your sign-in sheet), but the sales talk at the end was so unnecessary. After my massage, the masseuse wrote up a postcard with $150 of recommended products and proceeded to give me a sales talk about why I should buy them. That's not how I want to end a relaxing massage that I already paid a good amount of money for!!!

- Game prizes. I don't expect any prize for winning a game, but I was surprised to see childrens size t-shirts (with the kids club logo on them!) given out as prizes for an adult only game. I saw these t-shirts being given out as prizes for multiple adults only events. A big oversight considering everything else about Celebrity LIfe Activities was so well thought out.

I wouldn't hesitate to cruise on the Infinity again. If only they traveled to Glacier Bay and College Fjord, I'd definitely do Alaska again with Celebrity.

Publication Date: 08/03/12