Eurodam Cruise Review by floxin

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: H
See More About: Eurodam Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Dining 5+

Ship Facts: Eurodam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Eurodam Deck Plans
Eurodam cruise in Northern Europe
This cruise was a very enjoyable cruise. The procedure to get on the boat was fast and easy. We stayed in Copenhagen first for a couple of days to get use to the time zone. Getting around Copenhagen is very easy especially if your hotel is near the Metro. The Metro will take credit cards but you will need a pin for your credit card to work. We originally wanted to use our Visa but didn't arrange to get a pin for our card. That meant that we had to use our Visa debit card which was fine. We also noticed that many merchants in Copenhagen loves bank pins instead of a signature. So make sure you have a pin for your credit card.

There are plenty of large cabs around when it is time to leave the hotel for the cruise. We were originally going to go back to the airport and have the cruise line take us to the ship. Cabs are a bit cheaper, usually around $65.00 (from the airport) where as the ship charges $44.00 per person one way! Even when you leave the ship, I recommend that you take a cab for the same reason.

The only problem I had on the boat was when I prepaid for a beverage card. They cost $225.00 for $250.00 worth of beverages to include alcohol. My card was not waiting for me in my room when I arrived even though I paid for it in advanced. When I asked for it, the beverage department couldn't find it. They finally sent me a generic beverage card that didn't have my name on it and even charged me again for this card. Eventually they reversed the charges but I still had a bit of a hassle trying to get the charges reversed. Finally, since the new card didn't have my name on it; the card would have been valid for anybody to use if I had ever lost it! I wouldn't recommend to buy these cards. They only save you 10% but if you ever loose the card you are probably out of the money that was left on the card. Using your room key takes all of these fears away.

Overall, the ship, food etc. was very good. I don't have any negatives about most things. In fact the food was so good that my wife and I never felt the need to attend the expensive restaurants on the ship. Which is amazing considering that the Eurodam has the top two rated special restaurants among all of the cruise ships!

Now let's talk about excursions. My biggest complaint was that there was only one person on the ship that knew how to get around a particular town if you chose not to pay for an excursion. Shore excursions can be nice but riding around in a bus hearing about buildings and not having time to shop and explore are not as much fun for me. I like to explore by myself. The ship wasn't very helpful in helping folks like my self. Let's talk about the ports:

Estonia. I definitely recommend that you explore this town on foot. The tours don't give you shop time and many of the tours can't even travel inside this small town. It is about a half mile walk to get into town and well worth a foot tour. Of course, if you are unable to walk that far then please take a tour. The town is a great place to see.

St. Petersburg. Being in Russia; you almost have to have a tour scheduled unless you arrange for a passport at least a month in advance. There are some tour companies that will give cheaper tours than the ship. They will arrange for the Russian visa themselves. They will need at least 30 days to complete this task. My wife and I were forced to take ship tours because we didn't arrange with the independent tours early enough. The ship tours can be arranged at the last minute. They can provide the visas with very short notice. Overall, I found Russia to be a bit of a depressing place. The people seemed sad overall. I didn't attend any of the Russian evening shows which many folks told me were great. I am not much of a ballet and classical music type of guy! The ship will inform all of their passengers that they will have a Russian Bazaar on the ship when it leaves port. They tell you that their prices are cheaper than in Russia. My thoughts is this: When you buy a Russian doll; you buy it because you like the face and painting etc. The ship might not have the artist on board at the bazaar. If you like it on land then buy it. The ship did have a good selection though. Dollars and Euros could be used with vendors and some even took credit cards in Russia.

Helsinki, Finland. Here is another port that you can take by yourself. The ship provided a bus that takes you into town for a nominal fee. My advice is to make sure you take that map the ship gives you and mark on the map where the bus dropped you off! I didn't do that and had a hard time finding the bus stop again. If I had marked on a map where the stop was I could've asked for directions. But I didn't do that so I did have some searching time looking for the bus!

Stockholm, Sweden. Another port to explore by yourself. This is the easiest port to explore by yourself. The ship docks right next to the "hop on hop off" boats. Basically you buy a ticket for these boats and get on them and off them any time you wish all day. One thing I didn't know was that there are three or four different companies doing the same thing. When you go to the "hop on hop off" landing zone, there will be different folks yelling at you to get on their boat! I didn't really know which one to get on. How I decided was that I did want to see the museum of the famous sunken ship. This can be a long wait to get into this museum. I asked all of the "hop on hop off" tour boats, which one was going there first. The folks that responded that they were; I took.

First stop in Germany. This was another place that we explored ourselves. We caught the metro to Rosenstock and explored the town. We then came back and explored the beach resort next to the ship. This little town had many shops etc. Germany took euros.

Second stop in Germany. We took the castles and roses tour. This was a fun tour that include a nice boat ride and tour of a glass blowing factory. The negative was that you didn't have time to go into the castles or any shopping time.

Arriving in Copenhagen: We arrived at 7:00am. Since my wife and I could pull our four suitcases ourselves; we were one of the first ones to get off the ship. We actually were at the airport by 7:45am. Our flight was 12:20pm. We could have easily made the 10:00am flight but never booked it because the cruise line advised not to. If you can carry your own suitcases and take a cab: you can easily take a 10:00 flight. We did have to go through about four different entrance points to show our passports etc. so don't get frustrated. If you arrive at the airport early; it has many shops to explore. Go through these shops before you go to your gate. There is not much to look at when you go through the last line for your gate.

That should do it. Before I took this cruise; I did read other persons evaluations. I tried to write down what others had missed. Good luck with your cruise.

Publication Date: 08/03/12