Thomson Spirit Cruise Review by Welshgirl1962: Fire and Ice

Fire and Ice

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: Newcastle (England)

Sailing from Newcastle meant that I left home at 12.30 as we were in our cabin by 12.50. The process of registering and going through customs, was so efficient, and a wonderful start to the cruise. The cabin lived up to our expectations, plenty of room, very clean, with lots of cupboard and drawers for storage. There was even an excess of hangers, despite my husband and I having 4 cases of clothes etc.
The ship is a perfect size within a day or so you easily find your way around, and yet it has more than enough space to find a quiet corner to read. The entertainment was not the reason we had booked this cruise, but the team under the management of Richard the cruise director, work incredibly hard and the standard of the shows would rival any West End Show, if not even better it - and if Simon Cowell is reading this, they dont want your rejects from X factor as the Spirit team can sing and dance better than anything I have seen on the show. By the end of the 12 days, the More team knew many of the passengers by first name.
The ship sailed a day late due to unforeseen weather and unfortunately we were not able to visit the Faroe Islands, then after two days of gale force 8 seas - during which the ships doctor was the busiest I'm sure he has ever been we arrived at Iceland. The ports were fantastic and the views were literally breathtaking. The excursions had initially seemed expensive but were well worth the money - you get local knowledge, that makes the trip so entertaining. Food on board was exceptional and the staff were so friendly, it was sad to say goodbye. My first cruise and my husband and I are now hooked on the Spirit and will be returning to the old girl again soon - like so many other passengers we met. Less

Read more Thomson Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Thomson Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Thomson Spirit 10

Deluxe cabin number 10 on Eagle Deck, was more spacious than we imagined. more than enough storage, cleaned twice a day by cabin staff. The bathroom had a bath with shower over, which needs updating. Plenty of lights, comfortable beds and chairs, and the television is too large for the room. Can hear next door cabin coughing and people walking past door, but earplugs help with this.