Rotterdam Cruise Review by je_gigote

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Rotterdam
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: E
See More About: Rotterdam Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Rotterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Rotterdam Deck Plans
Another great cruise with Holland America
This is my third HAL cruise but my first in Europe, and the experience was similar enough to previous HAL cruises that it definitely felt like a HAL cruise, but it was certainly adjusted for a European audience.

As Americans, my family were definitely in the minority on the ship--I heard there were only 150 Americans. Most of the passengers were Dutch. Although at the beginning of the cruise it was announced that English was the official language on the ship, it seemed more like the Dutch were insistent NOT to have to speak any English at all, which (I'm assuming) made communicating with the crew/staff rather difficult.

We received the same high-quality service that we have come to expect from HAL. I would say the only area in which service didn't live up to our previous experiences was the room stewards. I roomed with my sister (we are both adults) and our parents were next door, and it seemed like our parents received better service than we did. Our room didn't have a fruit basket until the third day, and our television never worked (which wasn't too big a deal because we didn't come on the cruise to watch TV all day anyways).

The Rotterdam seemed in fine condition to us, no obvious damage as has been previously noted. (I often wonder if people board ships and search out thing to complain about!) Yes, there is a bit of wear-and-tear in places, but these ships are high-traffic! They stand up quite well to the amount of use, in my opinion.

The ports of Oslo, Kristiansand, Stavanger, and Flam were all truly wonderful. We spent time wandering around each port and really enjoyed towns, sights, foods, and Norwegian people.

Food and drinks are always a high point for our family on any HAL cruise. I'm a vegetarian and I'm never at a loss for options. We enjoyed dinner every evening in the main dining room (fixed seating--I don't know why anyone would risk it with As-You-Wish dining with all the complaints I've seen). Meals were always rich, delicious, and plentiful (although sometimes I felt like the portions were *too* big). As long as I don't have to cook and clean up, I'm happy!

The showroom shows weren't as great as they usually are (according to my parents--my sister and I pretty much skipped them this time around), but the musicians in the lounges were awesome. The music was always great.

Staff and crew were always friendly--even cleaning staff greeting us with a Hello and Good morning/afternoon. We appreciate that. As most of the passengers spoke Dutch (and had a bit of an attitude problem, to be perfectly honest), making friends with fellow passengers was pretty much out of the questions. But as my sister and I are in our late 20s, we met a few of the entertainers and hung out with them in the evenings, which was a lot of fun. They didn't have to hang out with us, but they did and we had a really great time and made some new friends.

If it isn't already obvious, I would say my one real complaint about this cruise was the fellow passengers, which is obviously out of HAL's hands. I'll happily cruise with HAL again in the future, but I'm not sure I'd want to again in Europe if I have to cruise with that many Dutch again.

Publication Date: 08/02/12