Vision of the Seas Cruise Review by aroundthehorn: Very disappointing

Very disappointing

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Stockholm

I recently went on the Vision of the Seas for a 7 day St. Petersburg cruise. The title that was given by Royal Caribbean. At embarkation, the ship was in shabby condition. The chairs on the pool deck around the tables were scratched up and torn, besides being uncomfortable. The rest of the ship was in similar condition from the carpets being stained and just generally rundown. Our cabin had many issues that were reported daily and the personnel never got back to me to leave me a message, "Yes, we looked into it. or Sorry we haven't addressed it yet." Nothing unless I called to find out. The steward, though adequate, I did not see him the entire cruise. We eat at the buffet and the selection was limited and not great for the entire cruise. Seven days of minute steak for example.

Unfortunately, the main port of the cruise was canceled due to high winds and difficulty getting into the port. Safety is understandable, but there was no additional port added to the More cruise and I am sure that most people would have opted for changing another port to include the main port of St. Petersburg. There were many apologies but there was not any compensation other than the port fees without even a complimentary drink offered for the guests with an extra sea day.

The overall staff was uninspired. Not bad, just not friendly or engaging. They did their job, ie read the trivia questions, but that was it. Dance nights, they did their thing and walked away.

The ports were okay. I did a ship excursion to the Ice Bar in Helsinki. It was not very interesting or fun as expected. I walked in Riga, which was nice and I had a tour guide hired for Gdansk, which was fantastic.

A very disappointing cruise experience. Less

Read more Vision of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Vision of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Vision of the Seas Interior Stateroom Deck 2 3807

The cabin was well situated near the central elevators.

(5.5)
The history came alive and a beautiful city. We had a private guide who was terrific, Andrew, which I found on cruise critic. We also went to Stutthof Concentration Camp, which was a must see.
Read 41 Gdansk Reviews

My port excursion was to the Ice Bar and city highlights. It was in a warehouse and not very interesting and not very fun. You walked around and could do a few contrived things. It was interesting to see a new place.
Read 334 Helsinki Reviews

(4)
A nice city to walk around.
Read 26 Riga Reviews