Allure of the Seas Cruise Review by dacwpark: Ice Skating with my 6 year old daughter in July!

dacwpark
Member Since 2005

Family & Children 2.0

Compare Prices on Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Ice Skating with my 6 year old daughter in July!

Sail Date: July 2012

Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas Review July 2012-

Ice Skating with my 6 year old daughter in July!
Balcony Deck 10 Room # 10707 and 20693 overlooking Boardwalk-Category B2

Dacwpark

On July 1-8, 2012, my wife, 6 year old daughter, 3 year old son and I sailed on the Allure of the Seas. This was my 12th cruise, and I have sailed on RCCL, Princess, Disney, NCL and Carnival previously.

Embarkation/Disembarkation: Very easy, and organized. Short lines when we left. We parked at the pier for $15 a day.

Ship: How do you improve upon the best? She is beautiful! She was our destination.

The buffet-Excellent food, great selection, and always found a seat in spite of crowds. We ate breakfast and lunch here every day. I loved the mango and strawberry flavored water! The omlets were a favorite, as were the fresh grapefruit. Even the hamburgers were very tasty! A couple of times I came in after dinner for more cookies, and More noticed they were serving similar desserts to those we had at dinner at My time Dining.

My Time Dining- My wife and I ate here every night. It has been years since we sailed Royal, and we loved the food. We just sailed Disney Magic 2 months ago and there is no comparison- Royal just does an exceptional job with the taste and quality of what they serve. . And since we booked our cruise so late we could only get my time dining, which worked out the best for our schedule. Now we realize we would not go back to early / late sittings.

Early Dinner-What to do with the small kids? Also My time Dining is great for those with kids since you can drop your kids off at adventure ocean kids club at 5pm ( or even after) and they will take your children to dinner as a group, usually to the buffet. Officially per the online information adventure ocean kids club is open from 7 pm on- but then onboard we discovered they are open to take your kids to dinner at 5 pm. Even when we called RCCL pre cruise about what to do with the kids if we had early seating, they never said aquanauts kids club would take them to dinner. Basically the group of kids go to dinner as a group. If when you go to drop them off they have already left for the buffet, you can drop your kids off at the buffet and they will still take them. And since we booked our cruise so late we could only get my time dining, which worked out the best for our schedule. Now we realize we would not go back to early / late sittings.

Specialty Restaurants- we never tried any of them with the price premium, as we were so happy with the free restaurant offerings.

Ice Cream Soft serve by the kids pools, no toppings but free.

Room- We were in 2 balcony staterooms overlooking the boardwalk. Loved them! Be aware sometimes in the evening- with small children we went to bed early- you could hear noise from the boardwalk shows. So several nights I used ear plugs so bring a good pair in case you are a lighter sleeper. The room is well insulated, and the sliding door glass is thick too, but again if you are closer to the door you will hear noise earlier in the evenings. I suspect those balconies overlooking central park have a daytime noise issue with the music from the pools. We loved the shower enclosure-plastic curved doors that slide. Larger shower than usual. Beds very comfortable and as others have said longer than usual. Hair dryer in room. Large readable clock. Closet was larger than usual.

Adventure Ocean- Ages 3-5. They will take potty trained 3 year olds so our 3 year old son was here. They also have a separate room for 5-7 year olds where our 6 year old daughter went. Free. The 3-5 year old room has a small slide, computers, and games. We would drop off our kids at 5pm or so, and they would take them to dinner usually at the buffet- but the kids would sit separately from the crowds in the closed part of the buffet dining room. (See my time dining above). The workers were very good with our children.

Pools- Our kids loved the pools and we played in them every day. Great set up. Non potty trained kids have to stay in the splash area as they are not allowed in the pools. No slides but kids still had a great time. They get crowded but we usually went early.

Sports- there is so much to do- we played putt putt golf every day. My daughter and I ice skated- so much fun!

Shows- Loved the Ice Shows, the water shows and the acrobatic shows. So well done.

Value- We really felt like we had been on vacation after 7 days on Allure. With all there is to do, plus the great food. We cannot wait to return. Less

Read more Allure of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Allure of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Allure of the Seas Boardwalk view Stateroom with Balcony Deck 8 10707

We were in 2 balcony staterooms- Balcony Deck 10 Room # 10707 and 20693- overlooking Boardwalk-Category B2. Loved them! Be aware sometimes in the evening- with small children we went to bed early- you could hear noise from the boardwalk shows. So several nights I used ear plugs so bring a good pair in case you are a lighter sleeper. The room is well insulated, and the sliding door glass is thick too, but again if you are closer to the door you will hear noise earlier in the evenings. I suspect those balconies overlooking central park have a daytime noise issue with the music from the pools. We loved the shower enclosure-plastic curved doors that slide. Larger shower than usual. Beds very comfortable and as others have said longer than usual. Hair dryer in room. Large readable clock. Closet was larger than usual.