Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by Ewema: Something for everyone! Beware in Cabo.

Ewema
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Splendor Mexican Riviera Cruises

Something for everyone! Beware in Cabo.

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Embarkation: Los Angeles

I was worried about some negative reviews and found myself viewing everything with a crtitical eye and comparing it to a previous cruise. So-while it was a different experience from my previous cruise- I am happy to report a good time was had by all in our party. (I travelled with my husband and four grown children ages 20 to 26.)

The wait staff was friendly and efficient. There was a great variety of food. We dined nightly in the Black Pearl and those folks made that a fun experience.

We had a great time on the ship! Gary and Ben (cruise director and asst director) really made it entertaining with their fun and funny personalities.

The after dinner shows were very impressive! Also there were nightly comedy shows with both family-friendly and adult shows. We enjoyed lots of laughs and good times!

We enjoyed the various ship activities more than the ports. (We went for the cruise and not so much the ports as we had been to Mexico before,) Beware in More Cabo! A very friendly guy approached us at the pier and offered to let us spend the day at his hotel's beach...turns out we had to listen to a timeshare presentation first. That was vey unpleasant as they did not want to take no for an answer and we had to get rude to get away from there (Pueblo bonito resort). What a waste of precious time. We ended up not using their hotel and booking a snorkeling trip instead. That was fun but I wonder If the Carnival excursiontook their folks to some place less crowded? We were trying to save money by not booking through the cruiseline, but that might have been a mistake, ESP in puerto Vallarta - we were warned by friends about the dangers of that place and the cruise excursions were booked already so we just did some shopping and got back on the boat. There was plenty to keep us busy and happy. So five stars for the ship and activities....not so many stars for the ports tho,
P.S. and yes the ship has an odd decor, but we didn't let that bother us as we weren't there for an interior design convention! Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Balcony Upper 6222

We loved having a balcony to enjoy some quiet privacy on the ocean! There were three adults in our room but we never felt crowded. I would choose this room again.

This is a big party port and we don't drink so it didn't have much appeal to us. It felt like they put a bunch of tourist stuff in an area that otherwise wouldn't exist. Also, as I mentioned, we got tricked into s timeshare presentation. It was very crowded at the snorkeling site. We still enjoyed snorkeling though. The locals were always asking for tips, even the little kids who helped us for one second get out of the bost. Sitting at the beach was marred by a constant flow of vendors interrupting you.

To be fair we didn't do much here. We shopped the touristy shops on the pier then went to Walmart. It was actually fun seeing a foreign Walmart. We'd heard too many scary things about this city and had already seen Mexico before so we were content to spend most this day on the ship,