Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by Retired Samurai: Look at the experience, Not the AGE!

Retired Samurai
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Fantasy Bahamas Cruises

Look at the experience, Not the AGE!

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Bahamas
Embarkation: Charleston

This cruise was a gift from our son and his wife. We spent months reading reviews written by "experts." I spent almost 22 years in the Navy and have been on old ships almost held together by paint. The little spots of rust here and there were very insignificant.

The embarkation process was at best a process. You stand in line and hurry up and wait. Be patient!!! They do the best they can do with what they are required to do.

If you're looking for a spa experience wait till the day before or day of putting in to port. They will have deals that will save you lots of money.

The crew was quick to respond to repair calls. Those complaining about one or two missing screws...really! The experience was nothing short of AWESOME! The service, the food, the shows, the music, all made this an experience my wife and I will never forget. Don't get me wrong...I can be very critical about the attention to detail as my family can attest to, but the experience made More the little things fade away.

We didn't take our kids with us as this was our little get away, but there seemed to be something for all ages. Even teens and tweens had a place to go to. We spent our time on the Serenity Deck (area for those 21 and over only).

We opted for the early dining assignment. I don't like eating late. Your other options are either wait to be seated, which might not have a wait, or eat buffet. Having an assigned time and table just seemed more convenient. Sitting at a table with others gave us the opportunity to meet people. We enjoyed the whole experience. The service in the dining room was nothing short of super. I gained 9 pounds in the one week...no kidding.

Debarkation was simple. You either carry your bags off yourself and leave early in the morning or let them move your bags for you and wait for your assigned time. Again...be patient! You will hurry up and wait, but it is the best they can do with what they are required to do. Both embarkation and debarkation at least move along.

We are already planning our next cruise with Carnival Fantasy...next time with our kids and our grandkids. Less

Read more Carnival Fantasy cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Fantasy Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Fantasy Oceanview Main R132

Cabin R132 was awesome! It is on the port side about midship. The shower drain backed was a little slow in draining, but otherwise the bathroom facility was sufficient for its purpose. Closet space was little. We had read some reviews with suggestions and capitalized on them. Take a power strip. There was only one outlet. We also brought with us a hanging closet shoe organizer that we purchased at a local store for about $10. It made all the difference in closet space and organization. Taking some extra hangers is also not a bad idea. As for baggage storage, we slid ours under the beds.

Freeport was just okay. Little shoppes were set up at the pier for the convenience of the visiting cruisers. The port is pretty much industrial. To see anything you either rent a scooter on the pier, take a taxi, or sign up for an excursion. There's no walking to anything in Freeport. The shoppes on the pier are sufficient for getting the local souvenirs.
Read 779 Freeport Reviews

Nassau was interesting. All shopping was within walking distance to the ship. One needs to remember that the Bahamians make their money on their sales. They do their best to get your business. There are also beaches and hotels within walking distance to the ship if you're looking to spend the day at the beach. Most shops accept credit cards as well as cash. You should always ask if credit cards are accepted before negotiating prices. My wife and I made sure we had plenty of cash before we boarded the ship in Charleston. We highly recommend it. While there are ATMs everywhere, why pay fees.
Read 2644 Nassau Reviews