Marina Cruise Review by txtonc: The Absolute Best!!!!!!!!

txtonc
Member Since 2008

Compare Prices on Marina Baltic & Northern Europe Cruises

The Absolute Best!!!!!!!!

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Stockholm

We arrived into Stockholm a day before as this long of travel from the States necessitates at least a day to unwind!

EMBARKAtion: About 30 minutes; although we arrived at "peak" boarding time. Not bad for a 1000+ passenger ship.

ROOM: Our vista suite was at front of ship and was exceptionally well- appointed, laid out brilliantly with large master, large living room, exercise room, two (2) outstanding full bathrooms, large walk-in closet, and then a massive deck with hot tub with 2 chaise lounge chairs, table/4 chairs, and 2 easy chairs with end tables. Every room (aside from closet and bathroom) had televisions! Butler was fantatic.....better than most of the other butlers I've had. Plus there was a great sound system in room......we stay in our room quite a bit, so we literally loved our suite! It was absolutely perfect for us!

FOOD: Some of the very best food I've had on cruise ship! From appetizers, to entrees, to dessert----all were exceptional. More Usually a ship focuses on either desserts or entree selections or buffet line; but, this ship had outstanding food in each and every facility! We ate several times in the Red Ginger because my husband loves sashimi; but, my group's all-time favorite was probably the specialty italian restaurant on board. The food there, although it be rich, was exquisitely prepared and presented.

HEALTH CLUB: All new equipment and very upper-crust facility. I didn't use any of the "spa services" on this trip because we were in port each day; but, it looked wonderful and was busier than I had imagined with such a vigorous schedule on board.

SERVICE: As I mentioned earlier, the service was impeccable. The butler we had was one of the best on all of our 19+ cruises. The stewards did an outstanding job as well---they attended to our room several times a day and ensured our ice bucket never went empty.

GENERAL: The security, entertainment, programs were all above average. My favorite thing to do was attend the martini classes. My favorite bartender was Rackman---he ensured I knew my drinks and kept up with our group on making various types of cocktails! The ship was well-laid out and decorated and definitely appealed to an upper-end following. I loved the fact there was NO formal evenings.....when you travel, it is so difficult to pack those extra bulky outfits. Go to your formal gatherings at home....cruising if for sitting back and enjoying yourself while being pampered!

Tips: I would recommend the trip to Baltic for those who want to get away from the heat of summertime in the USA! It was so nice and cool and you were at a different port each and every day (aside from Russia). It is not a big "party" ship and this particular cruise was geared more so to couples in their 50's to 70's. Although I did see a few children ---perhaps 8-9 on entire boat. I'm used to a busy lifestyle at home and it was nice to slow the pace up a little. I thoroughly enjoyed the Marina and will focus my attentions on traveling with Oceania on all special future cruises!

NEGATIVES: Perhaps only that it was a bit too cool/windy to truly utilize our massive deck on front; it would have been perfect sailing the Mediterranean. Less

Read more Marina cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Marina Review >>

Cabin review: Marina Vista Suite Deck Eight

Great cabin or VISTA suite! Located at the front of the ship---on cooler sailings, it may not be as enjoyable to be in front (due to wind along front of boat); but, I like being in front and seeing where we are heading. Plus I feel I am a bit removed from the noise and hustle and bustle of corridors along the middle by elevators and their lobbies. VISTA is large, well appointed, has private exercise room, large bath (2 full bathrooms actually), large master bedroom with very, very comfortable bed, large picture windows throughout, wondrously large deck with hot tub and outdoor television with additional outdoor furniture for social gatherings. Living room had wet bar, dining table, and large living room set of fairly comfortable furniture and television with sound system. Butler....an added "plus" that was so much better than many of the other butlers I have had on previous cruise lines.

I would have liked to have stayed in this city for an extra 2 days minimum. But, alas, we had to leave the same day we arrived----perhaps next time. There was so much to see and enjoy and appreciate; but, we had to forgo it to get to airport to catch our flight. Airport was quite nice but took forever to walk from one end to another. It was easy to disembark in Copenhagen and from the time we got off our ship at 7:30....we were at airport by 8:15 am. Not bad...although it was on a Sunday morning!

Amber Room

Catherine Palace

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood

City Tour

Peterhof Palace

Nice port...although further away from city-center than I had anticipated. It looks as if different ships are at different places along the water--depending on where they place you. Plan on staying in Stockholm at least 2 days....wow, what a beautiful city! Make sure and get your currency exchanged before you get here as the taxi fare is a bit hefty to city center. I believe it runs around $65-$85 USD--depending on time of day and about 30 minutes to 45 minutes or more (again depending on time of day).