Norwegian Star Cruise Review by Sesysunshine

Cruise Date: April 2005
Embarkation: Los Angeles
Destination: Mexican Riviera
Cabin Category: IA
See More About: Norwegian Star Cruise Reviews | Mexican Riviera Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Value-for-Money Not Rated

Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera
The Norwegian Star is the worst cruise I have ever been on.

I'll go from beginning to end...

Airport transportation to the ship : They were no where in sight when we were at the baggage claim. We had to call the agency and have them sent to us. After they came over to us they were rude, acted like we were an inconvenience and then pushy. What a way to start off the embarkation experience. They need lessons in being friendly

Embarkation: HORRIBLE! We got to the port at around 12:30 and after waiting in the first line, the waiting area and then another line we made it on to the ship at about 3:30 or 3:45. Nice for being there early. We didn't even get to take the Welcome aboard picture.

Cruise staff : MOST were rude, sarcastic and made it feel as if you owe them something. I paid money to be on the ship to be waited on like I was on a vacation. Instead they talked down to you and made you feel as if you were an idiot. Hardly helped when you had questions and were extremely pushy. I never sailed freestyle before so I had no idea what to expect. NOT FOR ME AT ALL. I'd rather have a great waiter EVERY NIGHT then different (but still rude) every night.

SHORE EXCURSION STAFF and BARTENDERS are the only people that were good on the ship.

Shore Excursions : WAY TOO OVER PRICED. The dolphin swim was great and I didn't mind paying the price. DO NOT buy any of the excursions in Ixtapa. You can get the same things at the pier for about 3-5$ (American) for something you would spend 55$ (example : Las Gatas Beach) Save your money because you will have to hand it ou on the ship every time you turn around. Puerto Vallarta beach break is awesome. That is the only excursion I will recommend. For the price you got a lot and it was fun. Lands End Boat and Beach was horrible as well. A 45 minute boat ride that you saw the same thing you did from the docked cruise ship. SAVE YOUR MONEY!! Do an L.A. tour if you liked. It was pretty good.

Food: FREESTYLE is such a bad idea. You have to pay for specialty foods that you would get included on ANY OTHER CRUISE. They were nothing special BELIEVE ME. Even if the restaurant was free you would have to make a reservation. They didn't explain it very well so there was a night when we didn't get to eat until almost 9. And reservations were only available at like 8:30 9...It was just a terrible set up. The waiters were okay. I just remember with my other cruises, you felt special. The waiters would get to know you and have some fun with you. This cruise line was so unfriendly. I hated eating in the specialty restaurants because they made you feel as if you didn't belong in there. It's definitely not for everyone. I like having a set reservation for either a late or early seating. Same waiter and cocktail waitress. Menu with TONS of different selections. Freestyle was just a bad deal. You not only pay for you cruise..you pay for your meals...your drinks...EVERYTHING

Onboard activities: Again..Norwegian is after your money. Almost all onboard activities had a price to be paid. Even down to bingo. Bingo, SLot tournaments, Spa activities it was terrible. The shows were horrible also. The magician was great. That was about it. The Circe De Pacific was total CRAP. A bunch of jumping and screaming with a few impressive juggling or bending tricks.

Overall review : Mexico was gorgeous...If I could have been on Carnival or Royal Caribbean I would have had a fantastic time. Freestyle on the Norwegian was such a bad experience and I paid a lot of money to have a mediocre time. Book with a different ship. I sure wish I did.

Feel free to ask ANY questions and I will be honest with you. If you are already booked with the Star hopefully your experience will be better.

By the way...the ship is beautiful...inside and out. That's a plus about the ship.

Publication Date: 07/29/05