Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Niffykat

Cruise Date: July 2011
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: D1
See More About: Mariner of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated
Shore Excursions 5+

Fabulous First tips, tidbits, and thoughts
Just got back from my first Cruise, and I really enjoyed it. It also happened to be my first trip to Europe. I used the cruise as an opportunity to get a brief exposure so that I could better decide which places I want to go back to and spend more time. Our Stateroom attendant, Denys was very good; our waiter and assistant waiter Marie and Lawrence we very good as well. Loved the room with the Balcony, LOTS of storage space in the rooms. I recommend taking your own shampoo.

The Food was Excellent, and many choices. The Spa experience was less than I am used to.... There are deck chairs right outside the window, and announcements over the PA system come right into the spa area - in the middle of a massage, while trying to relax, hearing screaming ( or even laughing) children outside the window, and being disturbed by a PA announcement, made it one of the worst spa experiences that I have had.

Two best friends traveling, and instead of sharing a cabin, we each got our own room with a connecting door and had the door between the rooms and on the balcony opened. This resulted in a very comfortable experience. I feel that two people in one of those cabins would have been very cramped, but maybe that is the Cruise expectation, never the less, if you are traveling with a friend and can afford two - it was Fabulous. Hot water in the Shower was never an issue. Room Service was great. Room Service Breakfast was not good. On Board Shopping options should be improved, they are not very good at all.

Exchange rate on boat was very reasonable, it was NOT good in the Airport. If you buy anything in the ports and get the forms to get part of the VAT TAX back, it is NOT clearly marked in the Rome Airport, and I had difficulty finding airport personnel willing / able to help so....... Between terminals G & H there is a door on the right side of the hallway as your are heading towards the immigration windows, almost Right before where you were get in line to go through immigration. I was asking the guy standing right at the entrance to the immigration lines, and he acted like he had no idea what I was talking about or where to go to get the Stamp needed for the refund.... low and behold, it turned out to be behind me, almost exactly where I was talking to him............ I say MANY people carrying that piece of paper wanting their "stamp" I have to think the airport employees know exactly what the question was and were feigning ignorance. Used ROME CAB from Airport to Hotel, and from Hotel to Port - Excellent experience and reasonably priced. The embarking / disembarking & excursion organization was very well coordinated and executed. We took an excursion every day at each port, so we didn't really spend anytime at the pool. The little time I did spend was to be annoyed by the too frequent PA announcements, but I was wanting to READ, not swim, or dance - so maybe that's just me.... That's all I can think of for now..... looking forward to my next

Publication Date: 07/31/12