Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by Niffykat: Fabulous First tips, tidbits, and thoughts

Niffykat
Member Since 2012

Entertainment Not Rated

Compare Prices on Mariner of the Seas Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

Fabulous First tips, tidbits, and thoughts

Sail Date: July 2011
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Other

Just got back from my first Cruise, and I really enjoyed it. It also happened to be my first trip to Europe. I used the cruise as an opportunity to get a brief exposure so that I could better decide which places I want to go back to and spend more time. Our Stateroom attendant, Denys was very good; our waiter and assistant waiter Marie and Lawrence we very good as well. Loved the room with the Balcony, LOTS of storage space in the rooms. I recommend taking your own shampoo.

The Food was Excellent, and many choices. The Spa experience was less than I am used to.... There are deck chairs right outside the window, and announcements over the PA system come right into the spa area - in the middle of a massage, while trying to relax, hearing screaming ( or even laughing) children outside the window, and being disturbed by a PA announcement, made it one of the worst spa experiences that I have had.

Two best friends traveling, and instead of sharing a cabin, we More each got our own room with a connecting door and had the door between the rooms and on the balcony opened. This resulted in a very comfortable experience. I feel that two people in one of those cabins would have been very cramped, but maybe that is the Cruise expectation, never the less, if you are traveling with a friend and can afford two - it was Fabulous. Hot water in the Shower was never an issue. Room Service was great. Room Service Breakfast was not good. On Board Shopping options should be improved, they are not very good at all. Exchange rate on boat was very reasonable, it was NOT good in the Airport. If you buy anything in the ports and get the forms to get part of the VAT TAX back, it is NOT clearly marked in the Rome Airport, and I had difficulty finding airport personnel willing / able to help so....... Between terminals G & H there is a door on the right side of the hallway as your are heading towards the immigration windows, almost Right before where you were get in line to go through immigration. I was asking the guy standing right at the entrance to the immigration lines, and he acted like he had no idea what I was talking about or where to go to get the Stamp needed for the refund.... low and behold, it turned out to be behind me, almost exactly where I was talking to him............ I say MANY people carrying that piece of paper wanting their "stamp" I have to think the airport employees know exactly what the question was and were feigning ignorance. Used ROME CAB from Airport to Hotel, and from Hotel to Port - Excellent experience and reasonably priced. The embarking / disembarking & excursion organization was very well coordinated and executed. We took an excursion every day at each port, so we didn't really spend anytime at the pool. The little time I did spend was to be annoyed by the too frequent PA announcements, but I was wanting to READ, not swim, or dance - so maybe that's just me.... That's all I can think of for now..... looking forward to my next Less

Read more Mariner of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Mariner of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Mariner of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 8360

LOADS of storage Space - loved all the options. Right outside the door is the Staff area where on the night before Disembarkment, they are making a LOT OF noise moving the Luggage around. Other than that one night, it was fine. I really like the room as a single, it would be cramped for a couple

City Tour

(5)
I LOVED BARCELONA, and will plan a trip to go back there. The Gothic Area is Fantastic. I could spend more time exploring the roads and alleys. Would love to have seen inside some of those BIG doors in the alley's the led into home courtyards etc... maybe they should add a HOME tour, I would have really like to see some of them on the inside.... fantasy.... also our Guide as Fabulous.....

Picasso Museum

(4)
also enjoyed the Mueseum - was very interested to see his early paintings and HOW normal he started out.... I like the earlier works much better than 'what he is known for'

Monaco Walking Tour

(4)
See above in General, however the Cathedral was magnificent.

Monte Carlo Walking Tour

(3)
Again, beautiful but of all of the excursions this one and the Monaco one where the least favorite. Seeing the Many many Yachts, and High priced cars was interesting, but it was the Most commercial / least historical of all of our excursions, Glad to put a red dot on my world map, but wouldn't go back, and don't feel like I am missing anything... amount of exposure was just fine to say I've been there

Portofino Walking Tour

(5)
Great tour, about as much "on your own time" as could be expected. Beautiful, really liked the town

St. Margherita Walking Tour

City Tour

(3)
I didn't care for this as much as the others, although giving the choices at this port, it is still the only one I would choose. The PEARL factory was a disappointment - too many people, not that good of prices...... found the experience stressful. Bull ring was interesting. Too much time at these two stops as opposed to others where there was not enough. There was one stop where we got to go inside that was interesting. Didn't like the guide on this one as well either... so all in all .... maybe I'd stay on the boad at this port, and enjoy being by the pool, when most others are off the boat.... yeah, that is what i would do here..