Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Review by geeksquad

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 5A
Cabin Number: M11
See More About: Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals
        16+ 1.0

Good value cruise
This cruise was a great value. It is an older ship, but has been refurbished and feels clean and up to date.

We had porthole rooms (M11 and M15) that were in the front of the ship. It was very quiet and M11 was bigger than M15. The porthole had a platform that was great for laying out damp clothes. Our cabin attendant was great and the room and bath were clean and new looking. The beds were comfortable. We went on RC Majesty of the Sea in 2009. The ship seemed of similar age and size, but the rooms were tiny.

We were very pleased with the food. The food in the formal dining room was different from that offered at the buffet. There were plenty of buffet choices including a stir-fry area, pizza and deli. There was even a sushi place next to the casino (no extra charge).

Our snorkling excursion was canceled so we just shopped in the straw market in Freeport. That worked out well as the weather got bad in the early afternoon.

We had booked the Blue Lagoon excursion through portpromotions.com (much cheaper than through Carnival). This required us to get a taxi to the pier which was supposed to be a 10-15 min ride. The driver made us get off the taxi behind Atlantis and the long confusing walk to the pier resulted in us missing the excursion. This was a shock and pretty much ruined that day. I don't know if I will ever trust a Nassau taxi driver. Always note the name of your driver.

My favorite day was Half Moon Cay. We did the eco bike/hike. There were only 5 of us plus the guide. It was very enjoyable. I always like the private island days as there are no taxis or aggressive vendors to deal with. The water was beautiful.

The Serenity area of the ship was nice and quite (except when a big group got back there talking). I saw a barn owl one morning flying around with the sea gulfs. Another passenger pointed it out to me and it was a bizarre, but delightful site. My husband suggested there may be non-muggle passengers on board.

My 16 yo son enjoyed the teen programs. There was more of a focus on small music experiences rather than the larger Las Vegas type shows. There were 2 comedians. The family shows were OK. The one adult show we saw was disappointing. It had lots of fowl language and dirty sex talk and very little content. I'm no prude, but over reliance on that does not a good comic make. Overall the cruise is geared to drinkers and party-types.

We had a great time except for a problems with a taxi driver in Nassau. The day we got on a ship, I had a spa procedure. That was fine until the staff member wanted to sell me $3500 worth of products and do about $400 more in procedures for the trip. That unrelaxed me after an otherwise good procedure.

Publication Date: 07/30/12
Read the Bahamas ports review by geeksquad
More Carnival Ecstasy Cruise Reviews