Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Lanny01: To cruise or not to cruise

Lanny01
Member Since 2011

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Norwegian Jade Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

To cruise or not to cruise

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

My husband was very keen to go on a cruise for our 25th anniversary trip. I was ambivalent, because I do suffer from sea sickness and I did not want to spend my holiday over a toilet bowl, or asleep in the cabin ( side effect of the motion sickness medication). I did many hours of research. Thank you fellow cruisers, your reviews helped me a lot. So we finally booked our cruise ship, over 90,000 tonne, mid ship room ( not too high up, to minimise the movements), 7 days only, somewhere calm (hence the mediterranean-eastern). We narrowed it down to the Norwegian Jade.

So here's our experience, what I loved :
The shore excursions, loved Izmir( Ephesus), Dubrovnik, Split, Athens.
The evening entertainment.World class acrobatics, musicals etc.
The fitness centre and the running track, where else can you exercise with views like Venice passing by? magical.
Our son loved the kids club.
We slept so well on the ship ( I was told by the staff, that this was due to More the constant rocking movement)

What I didn't like:
The crowd !! 2000 people seemed to converge into the pool area, crazy! two small pools, standing room only!Witnessed people fighting over lounge chairs. The main dining room was so crowded, again people fought over tables and chairs!We ended up going on the specialty restaurants to escape the crowd.

The long sea days, seemed to drag on. I felt nauseous the whole day,reading made it worse. Could not go to the spa area ( front of the ship), it was worse there.The patch made me drowsy, the ginger tablets helped with the nausea.

Would we go again? I am not sure, maybe not, a river cruise maybe.

By the way, my husband did not enjoy the cruise as much I he thought he would. He doesn't normally get sea sickness, but he felt dizzy on those sea days too!
We were both glad to finish the cruise. Some lovely memories there. I must add that the staff on the ship worked so hard ( 9 months straight, with no days off!), those extra tips meant a lot to them!!They were all fantastic! Less

Read more Norwegian Jade cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Jade Review >>

Cabin review: Norwegian Jade Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 8

Mid ship with balcony. Deck 11. Choose wisely some of these rooms are underneath the kids club (deck 12). Spacious enough, with enough storage room. Balcony is good. Somewhere quiet to go to. Happy with bathroom, with a bathtub!

Acropolis

Acropolis was fantastic. Plaka, not enough time.

City Tour

(5)
Cable car was fantastic, best view to take photos.

Trogir Walking Tour

(4)
Trogir is fantastic, forget about the Dalmatian village tour. Do your own Split walking tour.