Carnival Glory Cruise Review by SKeighley

Shore Excursions 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

Great Glory Cruise to Canada
We just returned from a 5 day cruise on the Carnival Glory out of Boston to Canada. Just a little bit about ourselves, we are a retired couple in our early 60's and live near Cape Cod Ma. Boston was a great port to embark from since it was only 1 hour from our home. Even though we received a call not to arrive at port until 1:30 pm, we arrived at port at 10 am and after dropping of our luggage we went to the auxiliary parking area a few blocks away. We were shuttled to the terminal. We went right through the check-in area and were seated in zone 3 for boarding. At 11 am they proceeded to start boarding. We were up on the Lido deck having a cool drink by 11:15. I was on the Glory in 2005 so I was a little familiar with the ship's layout.

The only negative thing I found is that the Galley is between the two MDR on deck three and four so you cannot get to the back of the ship from the front on those decks

Cabin: We booked one month before sailing at a great senior rate but had to take an inside cabin 8366 in the Veranda deck 8 which is one floor below the Lido. I had heard that having a cabin below the lido was noisy, but we did not find that to be true. It was kind of nice to go up one set of stairs to get a cold drink or snack. Our steward Richard was always around to take care of our needs. We brought a 12 pack cooler which he kept full of ice.

Food: We had second seating in the Platinum dining room in a booth for four. We had great table mates, a couple from Albany NY. We seemed to have a lot in common and a lot of laughs. I found our waiter, Denies superb. He was so attentive to all our needs. The menu each night had a lot to choose from and I always found something great to order. I only ordered their famous Chocolate Melting Cake one night so I could get to taste some of their other great desserts.

The Red Sail Buffet always had such a variety of items to choose from. They had a deli that served great sandwiches which we ate quite often. We were always lucky to get a table near the windows so we could look out at the water while we ate.

The main dining room was where we always have our breakfast. I like the idea of being served the meal. Also I ask to be seated at a large table so we get to meet different people every day.

Lido Deck: There was a lot of changes to this deck since our last cruise. They added a large screen which you could sit out at night and watch a movie in the main pool area. That is where most of the action happens the area has a large amount of lounge chairs for everyone.

The Aft pool area had an adult only pool so it was always quiet in that area. Also it was closed in with glass and much warmer than the main pool.

On the front of the lido area is the serenity which is on deck nine and ten. They have a variety of lounge chairs in each area, which was always full. We did find a nice place in the shade to spend our first sea day.

Entertainment: The shows in the Amber Palace show theater were great. They had two different Broadway style shows. Both times we had a seat in the balcony which I feel gives you a much better overall view. In the Ebony Cabaret Lounge they had 10 different comedy punch liner shows. We managed with our schedule to see at least half of them and they were great. From late afternoon till late there always was a place with live music playing, whether it was in the Atrium lounge in the lobby to the Kaleidiscope Boulevard near the Casino. I loved the sing along in the Cinn-A-Bar Piano Bar.

Crew: This being our 8th Carnival cruise we expected great things from the staff and they did not disappoint us at all. Richard our cabin steward was very friendly and efficient. Iamuman, our bar waiter always found us no matter where we sat outside and brought us our drinks. He never forgot our names or what we drank. Since I don't drink alcohol, he suggested some great virgin drinks. Denise, our MDR waiter always greeted us by name and know exactly what we wanted. Josh our Cruise Director was fantastic. He had a great lively personality and made sure he was available when he was needed. I loved watching him on his morning live TV show.

Ports of Call: We booked the trolley ride around in St John through Carnival and was not disappointed. Our tour guide was very informative about the town and we stopped at Reverse Falls in the Bay of Fundy to take a picture break. We were dropped off in Market Square where we shopped a while before walking back to the ship The next stop in Halifax, it was raining so all we did is leave the ship long enough to shop in the cruise terminal there.

Debarkation: On the day we arrived back in Boston we went up to the Lido deck at 8 am for a quick breakfast. We went back to our room to pick up our carry-on bags and head to the designated waiting area for out zone to be called. By the time we got there at 8:30 they called our zone 9 and off the ship we went. Hopped aboard the shuttle for the parking lot, loading our car with our bags and we were driving out of the parking lot for the ride home by nine. One of the fastest times we had in getting off a ship

We loved the cruise so much that the day after we arrived home I booked another Glory cruise out of Boston for June 2013.

Publication Date: 07/29/12