Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by dizzylinzy

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Mariner of the Seas Cruise Review by dizzylinzy
Mariner of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Member Name: dizzylinzy
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: other
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: JS
See More About: Mariner of the Seas Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals

Not up to scratch
Briefly - flight with Jet2 Manchester to Rome fine on time - however there was some problem with luggage arrival at Rome not sure why but eventually we were ahown to coaches and on our way. transfer approx 1 hr and as soon as we arrived at port were taken straight through to begin boarding process - on board and in cabin within 20 mins. So far so good - then it all starts to go wrong!! WE were a party of 3 in a Junior Suite - suite fine midship and deck 9 - welcomed on tv as 3 passengers so WHY only set up for 2 - 2 towels etc. No-one around to ask - corridors like Marie Celeste!!! eventually the room steward appeared - and advised us that's always the way they are set out whether two or three!! ridiculous I shouldn't have to chase them for the extea towels etc - we wanted to shower having travelled since 3.00 am - not share towels.

Our room steward was more tnan helpful in the end. Always trying to please.

They Also mucked up the dining arrangements - we were a party of 5 on a connected booking - we were placed on separate tables - again I had to resolve this issue on the first day - frustrating.

One of our cases was missing and eventually security rang to say that they had it due to irregularities on x-ray - we went to speak to them on Deck 1 - had we got guns/machetes/an iron???? err no none of those - oh ok here u r then!!! by this time I was seriously contemplating jumping ship. It could only get better - only it didn't

The ship was 75% Italian passengers - apparently RCI are marketing the cruises heavily to them - so everything is geared to them - food entertainment etc. They don't understand the word 'queue' and mostly not please or thank you - the buffet in Windjammer was an absolute disgrace - when you could get near the food it was terrible and barely warm. Although if you were a Gold Card member - I'm not - just Platinum - you could eat elsewhere, to be honest the best meal I had was in Johnny Rockets where the food was hot and service very good.

The food in the main dining room - we were on late sitting - was just average and the worst I have had on any cruise and we are not fussy eaters. Always too salty and lukewarm. Our waiter even said that mostly the menu's were bad!!! Service was only just ok - we okynsaw the Head Waiter twice - on day 2 and of course day 7.

The ports were fine - We did their trip to Portofino which is so beautiful and also Barcelona - wrong trip I think it was very disorganised - we did our own thing elsewhere which worked out fine.

Inwas so very disappointed and more so as I had 2 new cruisers with us on a ship that shoulld have been amazing. RCI have obviously had to cut corners and it shows - I will vote with my feet and chose another line in future.

Publication Date: 07/29/12