Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by BMax

Embarkation: other
Destination: Bermuda
Cabin Category: 03
        10-12 1.0

Celebrity Summit - wouldn't go again if it was free!
Now let me start with the good things about Celebrity, since the list is so short.

The staterooms are a nice size, given the fact that it's a cruise. It had some good entertainment (not enough, though) that I loved. They had a great acapella group and they played a really funny newlywed and not-so-newlywed game with married couples on the cruise that is based on the gameshow Newlyweds.

Our trip was like something out of a comedy sitcom where every possible thing could go wrong. First, one of the members in my party forgot her suitcase! One of the people with a celebrity nametag who was handling some luggage told her she could UPS it to Bermuda for only $60. So we called a friend and he said he could do it. When we were checking in (getting our passes and showing documents and such) the woman there gave us the Bermuda address. Once on the boat we double checked the Bermuda address and also spoke the concierge about the situation.

Our suitcase arrived in Bermuda on Tuesday night, but we were never alerted (it was addressed to Celebrity port agents who are in charge of that stuff. The next day, Wednesday, we docked in Bermuda. We called the concierge Tuesday night and he assured us that we could relax and go to bed and it would all be taken care of the next day. We called the concierge to see about the situation the next day and he was gone. He left all day and left no one in charge and we had no idea what was happening with the suitcase. When he came back at 6pm, he had no idea what was happening with it and only began making calls when we reminded him of the situation. We learned that our luggage was getting held at customs and an entire day was wasted because the concierge just left with no notice.

We finally got the suitcase on Thursday night after speaking with the concierge's boss, but we were still very upset. The cruise didn't do anything to rectify the situation, and the staff kept playing the blame game.They refused to take any responsibility for their actions, blaming it on us and on customs. It was very unprofessional. They didn't even offer a bottle of wine or anything as a gesture of goodwill. After days of arguing with them, they gave us $100 credit to the bill, but given the price of the cruise that is nothing more than a gesture. It really seemed like the staff either didn't care or were incompetent at their jobs. The staff is all very nice but when it comes to solving problems they lack the basic skills needed.

As far as the food, it was very inconsistent. According to the members in my party, some nights the food was delicious and other nights it was nearly inedible and they had to send it back.

However I have certain dietary needs, I don't eat meat, dairy, or eggs. I called the cruise line three times before the cruise and emailed them twice. When we got there I had a letter on my bed saying "We acknowledge that you have dietary needs and we will be happy to accommodate those for you" which was nice. There weren't always meals in the dining room that I could eat however they were happy to make me something. The maitre d' visited out table almost every night and gave me the next day's menu so I could give them notice if I needed something special made. However, on the last night, they gave me sausage gumbo soup instead of the minestrone, and I had to excuse myself to go vomit. Then they served me a salad with bacon on it. Lastly, I asked for coconut sorbet and they gave me coconut ice cream. They said it wasn't made with dairy but I'm not sure I believe that after my entire meal was a catastrophe. The maitre d' was falling over himself apologizing, and said that all of our drinks would be on the house. Yet as we were leaving we were practically attacked by a waitress insisting on out cards to charge us and didn't understand us when we told her to speak to the maitre d'.

In addition to that, the room cleaning was awful. Half the time they didn't remove trash bins that had feminine products in them. They didn't throw anything out, they left wet towels on the ground, they didn't touch old coffees with half an inch left in them that were sitting there for days, we had a birthday cake delivered to our room on the first day and it was still there on the 8th day, it was ridiculous. I understand not throwing anything away since prices are so ridiculous but I think they used that as an excuse not to do or clean anything.

I was traveling with two 12-year-old boys and they didn't have much to do, either. Overall it was a disaster and the worst vacation we had ever been on.

Long story short: don't go on Celebrity Cruise Line if you have kids, dietary needs/allergies, or if you want the staff to care about you. It was simply awful.

The only good parts of the cruise were the parts where we weren't dealing directly with cruise staff - relaxing by the pool or going into Bermuda.

Publication Date: 07/29/12