“Family Reunion”

Member Since 2012
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
We had a group of 13 for a family reunion. I followed most of the reviews prior to our trip and enjoyed hearing about everyone's experiences. My entire family had generally positive comments about the cruise. There are certainly some areas for improvement, but overall everyone agreed that it was a great trip. My family was generally mixed ages (three generations) with little or no cruising experience. MAUI -Maui Brewing Company - Great experience on the way to Lahaina -Molokini Crater - A little choppy, but apparently that is normal on Maui. Good snorkeling, but not the best I have ever had (that is reserved for the Bahamas) -Hike to Twin Falls Waterfall - We rented a car. This is the same place that the excursion goes to on the boat HILO -Volcano- Some rented cars, other took tours (including helicopter). Everyone had good reports KONA -Walked around town -Kona Brewing Company - Good beer, but not as good as Maui Brewing Company Kauai -Drove to Kee Beach - Hiked along the trail and spent the afternoon on the beach drinking coconuts -Drove to the canyon BOAT -We had a suite, and it was certainly enjoyable. I probably would not justify the added cost compared to others with balcony. -IMPORTANT - I highly recommend a balcony room for this cruise. The people we met that were on inside rooms, all had the same comment. "It's OK since we are never in our room". We found that relaxing in our room with a nice view after a long day was very enjoyable. I would not have wanted to feel like I always had to be on deck in order to relax. DINING -We ate at every restaurant (mostly) -Little Italy - Typical Italian (olive garden quality). The menu selection was smaller than I would have expected. Even a hole in the wall Italian place has more than 5 entrees on the menu. -Lazy J - Top Shelf. Huge quantities of food (this is a recurring theme). -Teppanaki - Top Shelf entertainment, Good food. Fills up fast, go the first night. -Main Dining Room (I forget the name) - By far the most mediocre meal on the cruise. I would avoid if I did the cruise again. -Jeffersons- Top Shelf. Best restaurant on the boat. Coconut ice cream, french onion soup, etc. You would not be unwise to eat here multiple times during the cruise. -Buffet - Good for breakfast, I would avoid unless in a time pinch for dinner. The food sits under heating lamps and has a tendency to overcook rather quickly. Area for improvement (Dining) - Many of the restaurants have the same items (ie. Salmon, french onion soup, desserts). This is OK, but the quality of those items is vastly different. The french onion soup at Jefferson's was superb, while the main dining version was awful. One would think that the good recipes could be better circulated. Didn't make sense to most of us. It seems they could raise the bar of the lower quality restaurants fairly easily in this manner. Enjoy your trip.
Pride of America Cruises to Hawaii

No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Pride of America Review
Pride of America Cruises to Hawaii
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?