Viking Ingvar Cruise Review by nomadlin@comcast.net: Russian Tour

Russian Tour

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Baltic Sea
Embarkation: St. Petersburg

The ship and staff were wonderful. Our cabin had a large window and the deck outside was roped for for staff only, so it was very private. The room was well appointed and though small did not seem crowded.

Food was different every day and delicious (even the reindeer and borscht), staff was very friendly and seemed they would do anything for you including discussing with us their jobs, homes, family, etc. Enjoyed them very much.

The scenery was beautiful and like nothing I expected. Though I don't know what I expected as this was my first Russia trip! We had multiple days in both St. Petersberg and Moscow and one-day excusions in quite a few small towns visiting magnificent churches and purchasing handicrafts of the Russian people. I brought home beautiful souvenirs that I will cherish. The gift shop at the Armory Museum at the Kremlin had gorgeous things, but unfortunately no one spoke English and our guides were not there to help.

In between visiting the More small towns, we sailed on beautiful rivers and huge lakes - so very peaceful and beautiful. Children along the way were always in the rivers/lakes playing and greeting us. Fun

The weather was abominably hot and that made me miss a few things so we probably should have booked on another date.

The airport in Moscow was simply awful. After checking in with our airline, it was chaos and there was no one who spoke English to help us find out where we were supposed to be. Our flight took off at a different gate that the airline indicated, we stood in a line for over 2 hours not knowing if we were in the correct line. I envisioned another week in Moscow - at the airport! Less

Read more Viking Ingvar cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Ingvar Review >>

Amber Room

(5)
Beautiful, though we knew it wasn't the original.

Hermitage Museum

(5)
The tour could have been longer, perhaps in 2 parts. We tried to obtain a brochure in English, but they were out. If we had had that brochure we could have gone on our own to see and spend more time in the parts we especially wanted to see.