Viking Pride Cruise Review by Mariejoseph: Viking and tulips

Viking and tulips

Sail Date: April 2011
Destination: Other
Embarkation: Amsterdam

The Netherlands, weather, and tulips couldn't have been better. Viking River Cruise needed improvement. The cabin was fine. The food was fine. However, the service was less than expected. If there was a concern, they were not in a hurry to rectify. The worst was when I had opted for an extra tour that did not deliver on its advertised description of a visit to a factory, the only reason I chose to pay for the tour. Then, when I told them my concern they only said sorry for the confusion.

Also, while on the trip, an engine blew. I understand things can happen. However, nothing was done on the ship to compensate. When we got home, they offered a voucher to compensate that had to be used in the year and not toward any other Viking special offer. So, really it was not much of an offering.

While on the ship it would have been nice if they had told of some of the benefits they offered. For instance, we stumbled upon individual maps and info on each port in the library. More They were and would have been very helpful. Why they didn't tell us about them, I don't know.
Internet was weak. Did they tell you where it was the best on the ship? NO. You had to discover for yourself. Less

Read more Viking Pride cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Viking Pride Review >>

Cabin review: Viking Pride

Adequate. Really the side and tide schedule is probably more important. often we just saw a wall.

The tours provided in this port were adequate. We had arrived early in the day and had purchased tickets prior for the Van Gogh Museum and the Rijksmuseum. The second day, we visited the Anne Frank House with pre ordered tickets. These made the visit even more special. We were to have been in this port the last night but because of the blown engine,new got in to late to do anything else. So glad we did the three museums in the first two days or we would have missed our opportunity. Wonderful city. On a separate topic. We took care of our own air so it was our responsibility to get to the ship. The train was easy and inexpensive. Their public transportation made it very easy to get around the city.

Delft Blue Pottery Factory

(1)
The town was worth it. The guide was not worth a penny. We were supposed to see a factory which turned out to be just a little Delft shop where they make Delft ware. We only found it because I expressed such disappointment the Viking person finally mentioned it to me. It was a wonderful little place and the other half of the group did go there and hear a talk. But, our guide insisted there was no factory and he led us to a delft shop that was less expensive probably because it was not completely hand painted, probably had been stamped or stenciled for part. Our group kept telling him, with the Viking person present that we were to see where Delft ware was made. He insisted we weren't and the Viking person never spoke up. Only after the tour did she tell me about the authentic shop. FIASCO.

Loved this city - beautiful and wonderful provided tour. Walked the town ourselves. Visited the railroad station, one of the most beautiful in the world and where the
Read 24 Antwerp Reviews

(5.5)
Went to Brugge which we expected to love. Beautiful city but crowded. On the bus ride back to Ghent, our guide gave us great tips for touring Ghent, which we loved probably thanks to her guidance.
Read 6 Ghent Reviews