Bahamas Celebration Cruise Review by joshsc

Bahamas Celebration
Member Name: joshsc
Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: other
See More About: Bahamas Celebration Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Celebration Cruise Line Cruise Deals

If you were disappointed, you did NO research at all
I went on this cruise to Freeport Grand Lucayan with my elderly parents which one is handicapped and wheelchair bound nearly. I was very concerned going on this trip because of this.

The check-in process was a pain but the folks working there were super nice and let me go off to the side with my mom while the others filled out all the paperwork.

The ship is OLD but OK. Upon entering the starboard entrance we were greeted by the only two elevators that would accommodate a scooter (which my mother uses instead of a wheel chair). However, one of those were out of order which left us ONE, and that was was as slow as frozen molasses.

Once we got to my parents room, we got them settled. We went to our cabin and found it was one of the suites and was HUGE. Of course we offered it to my parents but they were already settled. The cabins were clean and tidy, however they also showed their age. The suite was quite large and had a full length sofa along with a small desk and chair. A mini bar and snacks were also available.

All electrical outlets are not US so you must have ROUND adapters and possibly even power converters. Tip- those are available at the information desk for those that really need it.

Food: The buffet was more than adequate for this cruise. Hot dogs, hamburgers, salad, roasted carved turkey, potatoes, spaghetti, deserts etc. And believe me, other cruisers piled their plates FULL.

Dinner was a delightful experience (one of the few I had actually) with our head waiter Jose treating us like royalty. He quite possibly single-handedly made this entire cruise a delight. His smile was infectious and he and the assistant waiters were at our beck and call. He loves his job and it shows. The food we had was very flavorful- we all actually had the prime rib which was mouthwateringly tender. The Sommelier who brought our wine was knowledgeable and friendly and we even got a 10% discount on the second bottle (used on the cruise on the way home). They all were just as delightful on the way home as was the food.

Casino: The casino is small but very functional. The machines are tight and ate our money as quick as possible. Roulette fared no better unfortunately.

All in all, the cruise was fine and quite honestly, after reading the horrid reviews, it was surprisingly fairly fun and a good experience. It's unfortunate that the staff on this ship are wasted on such a poor boat and low budget company. The other cruiselines could learn a lot from the staff on this ship. I've been on many cruises on RC and I can say with out a doubt, this ship has the best overall crew I've experienced. Mad props to them all. If you go, tell Jose he's much appreciated.

Even though the experience was OK, I don't think we'd go on this cruise again..EVER. Grand Lucaya is a time-share nightmare and once you get there you are STUCK with every place sucking the money out of your wallet. And on top of that, most stuff around it just looks abandoned. So although the cruise isn't a good one, the staff really saved it for us.

Publication Date: 07/28/12