Carnival Glory Cruise Review by portsideRon

Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8D
Public Rooms 5+

Carnival Glory July 16 Mini Review
I first want to say it was nice meeting some of you at the meet and greet and then a couple of days later we recognized snoozeman in the crowd and got to talk to him as well. I personally had a surprisingly better cruise than I thought I was going to have. The calm seas in the North Atlantic were quite unexpected and a pleasure. I/We were expecting rough seas.

We found the ship to be clean and not too bad to navigate. From past experiences Carnival ships on the whole are not as easy to get around in but not so bad we didn't find our way. The Embarkation and Debarkation went extremely fast and easy. I wish I could say that about all my cruises. Kudos to the shore staff there in Boston.

Our balcony room was a pretty good size for the 3 of us. It seemed a little bit larger than some of our previous cruises and it was very clean and had plenty of closet and storage space. We had only one small glitch, it took the maintenance man two trips to clear up a slightly clogged shower drain. But other than that the room was definitely clean and our towel animals were made very well. On a previous cruise we would laugh trying to figure out what the steward had made because they were so deformed.

I thought the food in the Platinum Dinning Room was a 7 out of 10 scale. There was something to fit all our tastes every night. Having a 16yo son can be challenging sometimes when it comes to trying new things but he found something he liked every night. We all even tried the frogs legs from the "Did ya ever" part of the menu! The buffet, which we only went to for breakfast was not a problem at all for us. We don't sleep in and got to the buffet between 7:30 and 8:00 every day and the food was hot and plentiful. The lines at that time were not bad at all and kept moving. There was everything on there that we liked except waffles but found out later we just missed them and that they may have been at another station. My DW loves omelets and she finished her breakfast smiling every morning so they must have been good. The only time we had a problem with not having enough plates and waited only 1 min. for a clean one was the last day and that is because everyone was up and at the buffet early. We had read a couple of previous reviews that that was an issue. We found out when we got home we missed the CHOCOLATE BUFFET! Major disappointment there...we won't let that happen again on future cruises! It has been one of our favorite things to do in the past.

Traveling with my DS & DBIL always makes our vacation fun. We laughed a lot and even thought we may get kicked out of the steakhouse the one night we dined there.(Not really) The steaks were excellent and cooked to perfection. I had the Fillet and it was the best fillet I had ever had. This is the first time we have ever gone a specialty restaurant on board any cruise ship. It was worth the money but would only probably do it once per cruise because we found the dining room food very good and we like having the same wait staff every night. Call us old fashioned I guess.

The cruise director staff was very friendly and fun. We came into this cruise expecting a top notch CD (Josh "Big Sexy") after reading about him and for me personally I thought he was just OK. He seemed like the type that if we were to go on another cruise with him, he would just say and do the exact same things over and over again. He just seemed scripted to us. In the past we have had some great CDs who did their job but went with the flow and adjusted a bit more and were more visible at more of the activities on board. We like to be busy on our cruises and get involved in as many activities as possible and that is were we found the rest of the CD staff to be fun and friendly. YES we walked away with 3 of the treasured "Genuine Golden Plastic Ships on a Stick". We played trivia, participated in the digital scavenger hunt, and played scattergories with the largest amount of people we have ever seen play. Some of you may have seen me on stage in the minute to win it game. Not making excuses here but the back of my hand is muscular and I just couldn't keep those stupid pencils steady. OK it is an excuse! I got knocked out in the second round because of those silly pencils. But hey I had a lot of fun. People kept coming up to me and saying they saw me and I looked as if I was having fun. YES I did. A first for me was taking in part of a movie on deck wrapped up in a nice warm blanket on a deck chair and found that to be fun and unique in itself. The deck staff kept coming out with a new cart full of warm toasty blankets which were needed with the somewhat cold breeze whipping across the deck. My experience from cruising is to get out, volunteer for anything and everything and have some laughs.

The first night show lived up to it's expected sub par entertainment value but we have always found that to be the case on almost every ship we have sailed. Don't get me wrong here it was OK just not like the rest of the shows that followed which were extremely entertaining and well performed. The other nights were top notched as far as we were concerned. The male and female singers had very good voices and were complimentary to each other. Past cruises have had one overpower the other one. Not the case here though. Most excellent! The dancers were wonderful as well. They were a talented group indeed as well as the band. The two comedians were good and left us smiling. I felt bad for some of the nightclub room entertainers though. When we walked past the rooms at almost any time they seemed so empty and the bands were singing and playing to almost empty seats and dance floors. The fact there were so many children under 18 on this ship may be the contributing factor there. Hey whatever the make up of the demographics everyone seemed to have smiles on their faces and enjoying themselves.

The ports we visited were good. I would recommend this cruise for those who have cruised before and are looking for something different to do. I am more of a warm weather climate cruise kind of guy ie Mexico, Caribbean... We did some things in port we could had done without and some we were very glad we did. We all liked touring St. John with a driver we had contracted with prior to our sailing. He took us around to many places including the reversing falls during both tide changes. The tides weren't perfect but he couldn't control that. He also took us to the caves but they weren't accessible at the time we went. We stopped at a 100+ yo Inn with a wonderful view to have a homemade snack or two. In Halifax the Titanic exhibit was a major disappointment for us for sure. There were very few actual Titanic artifacts in the museum. Walking up to the Citadel for us wasn't worth the time only because we have toured other old forts with some of them having acting military still there. The changing of the guard was just that...one guard changing his post with another and they were both college students just doing a reenactment. Sailing on the Tall Ship Silva was a nice tour however. The waterfront walk there was clean and inviting.

I can't sit here and write this mini review without the mention of the excitement we had the morning of the last sea day. Fortunately or should I say unfortunately we had a front row seat to the medical emergency airlift we had. We had a balcony room on deck 7. It was around 7:30 am or so and had our balcony door open. We could hear a helicopter off in the distance and getting closer. The CD made an announcement that we had turned back towards Halifax because of an medical emergency. It turned out to be a man who had had a heart attack earlier in the cruise and they needed to get him off the ship and to a hospital as soon as possible. It turns out the airlift was almost directly off our balcony. As the helicopter lowered the rescue personnel it seemed as if we could have reached out and shook their hands because they were that close. Also flying around the ship was a C-130 as air support in case anything went wrong. We all hope and pray the gentleman is recovering and doing well. What a scary thing to happen at any time but to happen at sea seems to amplify that. The CD made an announcement just before disembarkation that the gentleman was in stable condition. Thank God for that.

Overall I/We enjoyed our cruise on the Glory and found everyone aboard to be friendly and welcoming which includes the passengers as well. The ship was clean, and in good shape. The food was good and the entertainment excellent. Thank you all for helping to make this a fun vacation for us.

Ron (portsideRon)