Carnival Glory Cruise Review by mbkwash1

Destination: Canada & New England
Cabin Category: 8M
        3-6 4.0

Carnival Glory-Boston to Canada
Just got home this morning from our cruise on the Glory. This was our seventh (I think) cruise and second sailing with Carnival. Starting with embarkation it was the quickest by far that we have ever experienced. When you get to the pier they direct you to a shuttle lot where for $60 you park for the 5 days. They then shuttle you the 2 blocks to the boat. We literally got dropped off and walked straight through to check-in, no waiting at all. Once onboard we went up to the buffet for lunch as rooms werent available until 1ish.

We had an aft facing balcony. This was our second aft facing cabin (first being on a transatlantic in march). The balcony was slightly bigger than our cabin on the Ruby Princess. We had two deck chairs and a lounge chair out there. The cabin was your standard cabin no bells and whistles. Everyone said how amazing the beds and pillows are on Carnival, I didnt really see it that way, they seemed pretty standard to me, but I was in the minority with that opinion.

The food was very good. We ate in the dining room for each dinner, and had the buffet or grill for lunches. The only meal I would stay away from was the jerk pork loin...holy spices...i love spicy food but this was so over the top it burned my throat for a while. But other than that the food was very good. I recommend the lobster and the prime rib (be aware they are served on the same night; but no reason you can't ask for both :).

The entertainment was so so. We have seen better on each of the other cruiselines we traveled on. The show times too varied each day, something I dont think I have seen before. Which really brings me to my only complaint I had with the cruise. I know Carnival is known for always having something going on. But it just seemed very disorganized. Activities didnt start on time, our waiter, though friendly, just didnt seem to be as personable as we have had on each of our other cruises. I cant really find the word to describe it, it just overall had a different feel to me than our other cruises.

We had our 5 year old son with us and he enjoyed the cruise, though for some reason was terified of going to the kids club. He loved it on our Princess trip, but literally cried when we brought him up there the first few days. I am guessing it was simply due to the fact that he can be shy and there are a lot more kids on a Carnival Cruise than Princess. He did go up there last night and seemed to enjoy it as he saw some kids he met that sat next to us at dinner.

The best thing for us was the cruise left out of Boston. Living 30 minutes from the port it was nice not having to get an airplane or a hotel. Next year the cruise adds 2 days to the itinerary with stops in Bar Harbor Maine and Sydney Nova Scotia. Would I do this cruise again? I think so, but maybe not for a few years. But who knows with it leaving right from Boston it will be tempting next July.

Publication Date: 07/28/12