Carnival Fantasy Cruise Review by oriah

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Charleston
Destination: Bahamas

Really?
This was my husband and my first cruise and after this experience, i don't think i'll be taking another cruise. The highlight of our cruise was our cabin steward (Fernando) and how tidy & clean he kept our room. He was friendly and helpful. I also liked the comedian, i believe his name was Akeem. He was hilarious but with so little else to do, his shows were packed to standing room capacity.

During our sailing i experienced a lot of things that gave me pause and contributed to generalized disappointment. First, there's very little to do unless you're into eating large quantities of food (cafeteria-style & just plain junk food) or blowing money for no good reason. There is a lot of bingo. Bean bag tosses, faux game-shows, and karaoke are daily events. They attempt to take a lot of photos of you. Yoga, pilates, and any of the other exercise classes cost extra. There are a lot of kids on the cruise and by the second day, they were running wild on the ship and it appeared many of the adults absolved themselves of their supervisory role as "parent." While in public restrooms, on numerous occasions i observed people leaving without washing their hands...probably headed directly to the buffet. My husband observed one of the crew members come in to a public bathroom with his gloves on, use the restroom, and leave with the same gloves on! I observed people grabbing food off the dessert buffet with their hands, licking their fingers, and grabbing seconds. I was actually surprised that neither of us ended up with gastrointestinal problems. On the third day of the cruise, one of the four hot tubs was drained and never refilled. On the final day at sea, the entire pool was drained and wasn't refilled during our trip. I asked several crew members what was going on and no one gave me an answer. They permit smoking in the casino and the smoke fills the entire promenade deck (9th floor) and somehow drifted all the way down to our cabin on the 6th floor.

During both of our port days it poured down rain and just about all the excursions were cancelled. I brought an umbrella and my husband and i explored Nassau as best as possible considering the circumstances. They ran out of ponchos on the ship so a lot of people just spent the day onboard. The cruise director added activities but i have no idea what they were.

We had dinner in the Celebration dining room which was a "my time" dining option. The service and food were, at best, "average." The desserts were very good. On our last evening, we were having dinner with friends and one member of our group wasn't ready to order when the waiter was ready to take our order and we ended up not getting to place our orders until after people who had been seated at the table next to us at the same time had their desserts. It was as if the waiter was "punishing" our table for not ordering quickly.

The decor in the ship itself reminded me of a mall from the 1980's or a movie theater waiting area. There's a lot of neon lighting, purple carpet, and chrome. There were a few bathrooms that had been redecorated in a contemporary style.

Overall, i was underwhelmed and a bit grossed-out by my experience on this cruise ship.

Publication Date: 07/26/12
Read the Bahamas ports review by oriah
More Carnival Fantasy Cruise Reviews