Costa Marina Cruise Review by Tercel: Verrrry noisy

Verrrry noisy

Sail Date: October 2010
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

The wife and I took the cruise in the Costs Marina basically because it was a small ship and I wanted to try a different cruise line having cruised mostly on Hollandamerica.

I had originally tried to get this cruise in November but was told the Marina was going in for a referb, once on board and walking around I could see why. The layout of the room was a bit odd, the beds were in an L shape. one under the porthole and one along the wall with the TV stand in the corner, which made for quite a bit of extra space. There was a nasty cold draft and on locating it it was coming from a space on the wall over the port hole where a piece of molding was missing. I informed the front desk but it was never found, so I rolled up 2 bath towels and stuffed them in the space.

The first night when we left Barcelona for Monte Carlo the sea was a bit rough, it sounded like a garbage can or something was rolling around the deck above my cabin. Investigating the next day there was More nothing there and I discovered my cabin was one deck lower. The next night the loud noise returned, I went to the front desk to complain and a nice lady from the front desk accompanied me back to my cabin. Standing in the cabin she said, "sir that is the engine". I told her to wait a few seconds and sure enough the clanging returned. She said she would look into it. About 10 min. later the noise stopped. Apparently the dishwasher for the main dinning room was right above my cabin. I asked to be moved to another room but with 700+ passengers the ship was booked full.

We left Tunis for the island of Menorca, I could see the island from the cabin porthole when the engines stopped and we just bobbed around on the Mediterranean for over 2 hours with no electricity no shower and no hot breakfast. They finally got the engine going again, previously we cruised at 17 to 19 knots, now we made 6 to 7 knots. We bypassed our last stop to get to Barcelona on time. Costa offered 100 euros a cabin for the inconvenience. The Italian and Spanish passengers were not happy so in a meeting in the showroom with the captain, with a lot of shouting and fist waving and something that sounded in Italian like, "if we don't get 100 euros each we will take over the ship", we got 100 euros each.

Overall it was an interesting cruise the food was better than NCL but nowhere near Hollandamerica, the shore excursions were good, the staff helpful and except that I could not get to sleep till 1:30 - 2 am I was fairly happy. BUT I will never again cruise on the Costa Marina. Less

Read more Costa Marina cruise reviews >>