Ventura Cruise Review by loobs40: Just failed to hit the mark

loobs40
Member Since 2008

Family & Children 1.0

Just failed to hit the mark

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Other
Embarkation: Southampton

Quick observations of our recent three nighter on Ventura out of Southampton to Zebrugge and St Peter Port

Food : disappointing compared to my experiences of RCI and Norwegian. There wasn't a big choice of restaurants and the waiting times for the Cinnamon restaurant for a group of four was forty minutes the first night and over an hour the third night. Early morning continental breakfast to the cabin (croissants and coffee) was good, and arrived on time.

Bar Service : bar service around the sun beds was good and I especially enjoyed my Pina Coladas

Bar on the 18th floor aft, (can't remember the name) bad experience. On second day at about 17:45 we wandered in after a hard day sunbathing and ordered drinks. No problem there . The drinks duly arrived and we were informed by the waiter that since it was Black tie dress code that night and the bar was a 'high revenue earner' (his words) , we would have to leave as soon as we had finished our drinks. Another waiter More appeared a few minutes later to 'remind' us. We felt very rushed and didn't enjoy the drinks. Another couple were placed in the same uncomfortable position as us and weren't happy either. Why didn't they warn us before we ordered the drinks ?

Cabin: we booked an inside cabin and found it clean and suited our requirements. The shower was good and strong, and the toiletries were good quality

Spa : I had a couple of treatments in the spa which were good, especially the facial and massage on the last day. I would never say good value as spa prices on all cruise lines are outrageous, but I guess they have to make their money somewhere. Relaxation room/thermal suite was very small and internal (no windows) compared to the one on the NCL Jade which is fabulous.

Gym: Hubby used the gym once and enjoyed using the virtual reality bikes (not sure if that's what they are called.

Embarkation/Disembarkation : At Southampton I was very impressed with the organisation if the parking. Check in was easy. Disembarkation was quick and easy also with luggage easy to find and direction to car park were good

Other : Considering this was a British cruise line, with probably 99% Brits on board my husband was very disappointed to find that there was no coverage of the British Open Golf on the cabin TVs or any of the bars. Cabin TV choice was poor with, I think, three nondescript American TV stations included on a British sailing. Why ?

Would I sail with them again? : No I don't think so. Much preferred the NCL Jade on which we will be sailing again at Xmas Less

Read more Ventura cruise reviews >>