Celebrity Infinity Cruise Review by sara'scruisin': This Alaskan cruise was a puzzle

sara'scruisin'
Member Since 2003

Compare Prices on Celebrity Infinity Alaska Cruises

This Alaskan cruise was a puzzle

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

We have been on many cruises- Carribean, Mexico, Europe, Baltic, British Isles, and we're very excited to finally see Alaska--according to everyone, the cruise that doesn't disappoint. Well, we can't say that we had that experience. I'm going to skip a lot of things that are of minor importance to me-embarkation, cleanliness of the ship(should be a given), and cut right to the chase.

We had 3 days in Seattle and that was probably the highlight of our trip. It was GREAT. The ship was in good shape for her age and our balcony cabin was nice, with plenty of storage. Our stateroom attendants were extraordinary, and would even come clean the room when we slept in, ordered room service, and didn't leave til after 2 p.m. We would tell them to skip cleaning, since we know they have certain work hours and we had daudled in the room, but they always waited til we left, came in quickly and cleaned-extraordinary!!

We had a set dining time of 8:30. Our stateroom attendants More told us to go to the Trellis restaurant on the 4th level. We showed up at the appointed time and were told to wait in the "your time" dining line--What??! We waited and were finally woven through the restaurant and led to the 5th level where they "found" us a table in the "your time" section. They said our table was "taken". We were presented with a menu and asked to order. We told them we wanted a drink first-we had ordered the premium drink package-but it wasn't til our main course came that we got our drinks(wine). Meanwhile, I was told that they had "run out of" the Celebrity Select Chardonnay that I had been ordering all over the ship. There was only a limited selection of wines available in the dining room, even though we had purchased the premium drink package based on the restaurant wine list. This did not change throughout the cruise. We were rushed through dinner so that they could seat the other "my time" diners.
The next day, we went to see the maitre'de about our table and were assured that we would have a set table for the remainder of the cruise-what a joke! Different table every night in select dining section. We were felt rushed every night, to accommodate the other diners. We resolved ourselves to this situation, but couldn't resolve the food problems. The food was generally cafeteria grade. I looked forward to the lobster night. I ordered two tails and my son ordered one. Both of mine and my son's were complete MUSH. I was gob-smacked! They offered to bring more-no thanks!

Ok, ports: they were great. Really beautiful scenery, but ship excursions were prohibitively expensive. We took local vans for sightseeing and were very satisfied with them. Unfortunately, we never saw any breaching whales or any bears. I guess you had to pay the $150+ per person for a separate tour for these. Oh well. Let me know if you have questions. Less

Read more Celebrity Infinity cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Infinity Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Infinity Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Penthouse Deck (6) 8031