Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by Capt. Mike: Only OK

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Western Caribbean Cruises

Only OK

Sail Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Galveston

This is my first review after 24 cruises over a couple decades and several cruise lines. My wife and I would be classified as seniors I suppose but we live our life to the fullest.
We arranged a cruise out of Galveston on board the Triumph with our daughter and her husband and our grand kids, a young man of 11, and a young lady of 8.

We live only 30 minutes from the pier so getting there and boarding went smoothly arriving around noon we were on board and eating lunch by 12:30.

Overall the ship appearance and cabins are OK but she is starting to show her age. I inspect ocean going vessels (commercial) for a living and pretty tough on vessels so I may be a little too critical.

We were in our cabin by 13:00 and our luggage showed up later in the afternoon.
We were excited for the grand kids since this was there first cruise and it was fun to watch their expressions as we explored the ship.

My daughter went to sign the kids up for Camp Carnival More and ran into a snag. With the younger one there was no problem but the older one who is 11 years 2 month old, he was not allowed to move up to the older group, you had to be 11 years 6 months to move. My grandson was disappointed because he did want to be stuck with a bunch of younger kids and I did not blame him. He tall for his age, smart as a whip and it was a rotten shame they would not make that decision. Word of warning, if you don't want to have the same problem, I would recommend if you sign them up on line as my daughter did, fudge on their age. As a result he tried a couple sessions before he ask his mom to pull the plug and spent the rest of the trip making his own friends. The eight year old liked it but only went a few times picking and choosing activities that interested her.

My wife enjoy meeting people and almost every cruise has produced friends that we stay in touch with and cruise with again. Not this one.
This cruise was not one of those cruises where you could meet people. A bartender told us although the ship was sold out there were almost 1900 guests under 18 years of age. Aka, lots of kids which was fine with us. The problem we discovered that with so many kids on board the amount of adults, adults that might show up in the clubs was drastically reduced.
Most nights all the clubs were empty and I do mean empty. Hard to meet people over a good cigar and a Cognac when no one is there. After we thought about it I guess that is why we sail always in the off season when the kids are few and the adults more plentiful.FOOD: One word to describe the food; Average to below average. We had anytime dining and got in easily every night. We tried it for 2 nights and the food was banquet food, think rubber chicken. We then tried the casual dinning the other nights and while the food was average, it did not change.
We are not food snobs and I will eat anything, but we have been on too many cruises on RCCL, Princess and the very best Windstar to know what really good food you can find. Carnival really had gone down hill in this category to the point I don't think I will waste my money on their ships again.

We did a couple shows and found them fairly good but the biggest draw was they were air conditioned.

The one bright spot in the whole cruise was our favorite bartender, Mario from Jakarta. One of the best especially at making morning bloody Marys.

EXCURSIONS:
We did not do anything in Progresso, having been there a couple times we knew that the beach is where we wanted to go and was a 4 block walk from the bus terminal where the free bus deposits you from the ship. Highly recommend getting a massage on the beach, everyone in our group got one including the kids. $15 adults and $10 for the kids for 30 minutes. Fun and relaxing.

In Cozumel we did take a ship excursion in the motorized catamarans to Passion Island. I recommend it, beautiful beach and open bar and the food there was twice as good as what we found on the ship. Several people on the excursion made the same comment.

CASINO Broke even so I guess that may be a plus.

LIQUOR: Got a good deal on Grey Goose the first night so we bought 4 bottles for $99. Found out if you wanted to take a bottle of liquor to your room for consumption during the cruise, you could but only on liquor qualified and that was Johnnie Walker Blue at $150.00 which actually a very good deal. So we did and I am glad I did.

DISEMBARKATION: We took our own luggage off and were in the car by 08:30 and home by 09:00. Suggestion if you choose to do this get down to deck 3 about 07:30 and (1) you can catch an elevator and (2) you will be one of the first off. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Balcony Upper 6314

Cabin was clean and we were well taken care of but never saw or met our room steward which is the first cruise I have been on that I never saw him. He (she) did keep the ice bucket full and did find a beer bucket to keep the wine we brought on board chilled. Over all he (she) was very efficient and did a good job. No complaints.

Catamaran tour

(5)
Cool and are you listening Carnival, good food.

Think beach massage.