Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by GDM63: Was I on the same cruise - loved it!

GDM63
Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Carnival Breeze Europe - Western Mediterranean Cruises

Was I on the same cruise - loved it!

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

Just got back from the fourth sailing of Carnival Breeze and whilst offering my own views I'd also like to comment on some of the previous criticisms.

Ship itself was lovely with so much to do. As every person (of every age) has their own idea of a holiday, Carnival caters for every taste seemingly. Games, shows, Library, bars, piano bar, sports, casino, films - the list is endless.

Punchliner Comedy club was really good. Thoroughly enjoyed that and it was full almost every evening (for the adult only shows anyway). Red Frog pub was also very nice apart from the bloke entertaining with the acoustic guitar - truly awful.

Have to admit that we're not really the show type but did go to watch 'The Brits'. Unfortunately lasted just 10 minutes but that's probably more down to our British taste than the show (I don't want to hear 50 year old Beatles songs).

Staff were generally very good but I would have to echo a previous comment that dining room staff do More just need to get their act a little more polished. However, as this was just the fourth cruise for each team then its understandable.

Dining room food whilst not 'special' was very good and there was a good choice in the Lido Restaurant. Italian restaurant at $12 a head was pretty decent value but I personally would not pay an additional $35 a head for the Steakhouse. Also available are Burgers (after midday), the Mongolian wok (lovely) and the Tandoori (also lovely) plus other pieces like the BBQ on seadays. In general, more than enough to choose from.

Our Balcony room was spacious enough and service was very good. Bed made each morning and turned back each evening but steward did not bother us too much with his presence - a real positive. Oh, and it was a cove balcony too which we worried about before boarding but had no need to - lovely room with lovely view.

Won't go into each individual port but didn't get off in Livorno (been before) and having the ship to yourself on a Port day is wonderful! Will just add that Venice, Dubrovnik, Sorrento and Taormina were fantastic and Rome was just, well, Rome! Only took 1 carnival excursion (Taormina) because its simple and far cheaper to do others yourself. Hydrofoil terminal at Naples for example (to get to Capri and Sorrento) was just 200 yards from where we docked.

Seadays were indeed very busy but then again with capacity for 3500 passengers it always will be. Tip - if you want a sun bed suggest you get up at circa 6.00 a.m!

Cruise Director John Heald was very good in keeping passengers informed of everything and, indeed, in entertaining one and all by way of his TV Channel or in person. You got the feeling he cared about his passengers.

In short, as two 48 year olds we thoroughly enjoyed the whole 12 days. Sailed before with Royal Caribbean and there are pluses and minuses with each i.e. RC make dining time a little more special - Carnival remains very casual. Carnival have an informative Cruise Director - can't remember if RC even had one. Unless you go looking, there's really nothing to complain about.

OK - so I said I felt I had to comment on some previous highlighted areas. Here goes -

1)Queues everywhere. Funny, I didn't notice them apart from Lido Restaurant on debarkation morning. Easy to get food and drinks (use the waiters walking round if you can't be bothered to stand up!)
2)Stewards didn't pull bed back in morning. He shouldn't. You make a bed in the morning and turn it back at night (ours did this without any issues)
3)Lack of decorum from Europeans. Are you sure? Lost count of the times when American passengers queue jumped, ordered 3 starters, 2 main courses and then didn't finish them or simply piled their plates to overflowing in the Lido. This is not an anti American statement because yes, Europeans queue jump too. Suffice to say there are decent people and non decent people, wherever they may come from.
4)Children everywhere - over 1000 on board and I really didn't notice them.
5)Over emphasis on English comedian - we saw 6. 4 American and 2 British. In terms of the British 'style' being hard to get perhaps just try remembering that a) there's 30% British on board too and b) We can get US humour and slang so why can't you get ours?

Could go on but won't bore you.

In short, had a great holiday because we relaxed and did just what we wanted. Ship was great and it's superb to meet nice people from U.S, Canada, Australia, etc, etc.

If you go looking for things to pick holes in, you'll find them. If you don't, you won't. Just book it and enjoy! Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Breeze

2441 Cove balcony. Was a little concerned at the term 'Cove Balcony' but had no need to worry. Lovely room, ample space and more than enough room on Balcony. Bathroom very well equipped too. And don't worry, you're still not close to the water!!!! Graham, London