Celebrity Summit Cruise Review by amym2107: Summit - Southern Caribbean

Compare Prices on Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean Cruises

Summit - Southern Caribbean

Sail Date: April 2005
Destination: Southern Caribbean

The cruise was nice but not exceptional. Here are some areas most people are interested in when picking a cruise - I hope they are helpful as you make your decision. Feel free to email me with questions.

1) Food - varies by meal. Breakfast: We ate in the "cafeteria" all but 1 day. Decent selection, but pretty much the same every day. Some days there was smoked salmon, other days pickled herring (strange for breakfast, but good). All days, they offered bacon, sausage, corned beef hash, scrambled eggs, hot and cold cereal, cheese, breads, pastries, fruit. There was an omelet station, which was good, and sometimes a belgium waffle station, which wasn't so good. Even though there was usually 2-4 paths to get the same food, the traffic flow was pretty poor since everyone comes in from the same end of the room.

The other aggravation was toasting - if you want toast or a bagel, you have to ask 1 person in a central place to do it. With 2 lines feeding into this single More person, it got backed up and often the rest of your food would be cold by the time you got your toast.

We went to the dining room once - less selection, not really relaxing, and you can't wear shorts.

Lunch: varied significantly by day in the cafeteria. Some days were lousy, like day 1, other days were very good (American theme day). Mexican was awful, Chinese was OK. Admittedly, we didn't eat there daily - we really liked the "healthy choice" offering near the spa. The food there was beautiful and delicious, even if you need to supplement it with fries or a burger from the grill (fries are GREAT!)

Dinner: Dining room is nice but kind of noisy. It seems there were a lot of large tables for 10. We travelled with family and had a table for 6. All tables seem relatively near a server station where dishes clang, etc. Don't get up during dinner else you will be mowed down by a waiter! The food was pretty good most nights. Better than other cruises I've been on. As with most cruises, if you order 1 item from each category (appetizer, soup, salad, entree, dessert) you will have plenty, even if 1 or more of your choices aren't to your liking. Salads are very small - get 2 if you are a salad fan. They bend over backwards to make you happy here, so for example, we asked for escargot every night even though it wasn't on the menu, and they accommodated. As I said, most meals were pretty good. Rack of lamb was excellent, as was the chicken. Don't get excited about the lobster tails though - they were dry and chewy (not Maine Lobster). Deserts: lots of selection in the cafeteria and dining room - most look better than they are, but nothing to complain about. Desserts at the healthy area were very good - not sweet but really fresh.

Cabins: We had a balcony cabin on the Penthouse deck. It had plenty of storage space - even the biggest luggage fits under the bed. You can remove the items in the minibar and use the fridge. The room looked a lot more "worn" than I expected given the ship is only 3-4 yrs old. Need new bedspreads, curtains, and deck furniture. The bed was very comfortable, although I needed more pillows and was able to request feather. The bathroom got musty towards the end of the week - we should have asked for the shower curtain to be washed mid-week. Lousy hair dryer (like a shopvac on blow). Bring one. The vanity was chipped, but the bathroom had plenty of storage and the shower had a hand-held shower head. TV choices were very limited. A bunch of ship stations with pitches for the auctions and ports, plus CNN (not headline), TNT, Cartoon Network, and one other station. Movies are pay per view and very expensive compared to home.

Ports of call: I don't cruise for the ports, I cruise for the experience. That being said, I did like Costa Rica and Panama since I'd never been, and we did some nice excursions at most stops - contact me for more details.

General: I don't recommend this cruise unless you are 65+, since that's the avg age I'd guess. There was very little to do during the 4 days at sea, and the entertainment was positively AWFUL. There was a good comedian 1 night, but other than that, it was mostly song and dance similar to a high school production. Don't get fooled by the Cirque du Soleil stuff - there are 2 "aerialists" who do a short performance on 2 nights as part of the show. They are very good but sitting for nearly an hour to see 7 minutes of good performance is not a viable trade-off. There is also a funky bar on deck 11 that features Cirque theses some night. It's odd, and not suited to the cruise passenger population.

Shopping: decent selection of stores, auctions (art and wine), etc. Casino: good - big, lots of tables and machines - decent payouts, and fun competitions during sea days Movies: they have a theater but play 3rd rate movies only a few times a day that generally conflict with other activities (like dinner or excursions) Health Spa: double or triple the cost of home, but you'll get a 40% off coupon for 1 service if you book an excursion. They also have specials.

Bottom line - we had a good time because it was vacation, but I won't sail Celebrity again until I'm in my 60s. Less

Read more Celebrity Summit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Celebrity Summit Review >>

Cabin review: Celebrity Summit Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom with Veranda Penthouse Deck (6) 6041