Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by bead_dazzled: Triumph....OK for a quick getaway

bead_dazzled
Member Since 2008

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Triumph Cruises

Triumph....OK for a quick getaway

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Other
Embarkation: Galveston

We achieved our Platinum status (with some negotiating) with Carnival with this cruise. They have recently changed their loyalty program and it now requires many more cruises to achieve Platinum and Diamond status. The downside was there was very little benefits for being Platinum status on this ship. We were expedited through the Sail and Sign card issuance process but were delayed because they double booked our cabin.

Overall, the Triumph's refurbs are good. She is clean with nice carpet and chairs. Anyone that has recently sailed on the Ecstasy knows how disappointing a tired cruise ship can be.

Platinum was debarked with all of the other passengers so don't expect any perks from this ship/port. We always park with Lighthouse and as usual, they were awesome. Quick service and very reasonable price.

Notable...there were no shelves in the closets for the 4F cabin; only hanging space. There was a hair dryer in the bathroom but it was not very More powerful.

My teens gave the O2 program mixed reviews. The younger kids were often mixed with the teenagers because there were not enough Camp Carnival coordinators available. This caused the teens to leave the area and wander the ship. I noticed a large number of pre-teens running amok around the ship.

The shows were average. I noticed more of the bad timings, wardrobe malfunctions and other somewhat questionable content instead of the overall performances.

Be sure to know the spa prices before making an appointment. I was quoted one price before the appointment and charged another after the appointment. The gym is well appointed but we did not use it during this trip.

Carnival standards were on point...pizza, ice cream, deli, coffee bar.

Interesting...the Conquest and Ecstasy always offered guest comment cards; no such offer or request was made by this crew.

Overall, it is an OK quick getaway. Just average for Carnival. Having sailed with Carnival 10 times, I know they can do better. Less

Read more Carnival Triumph cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Triumph Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Triumph Interior Verandah 8214

8214 - is a 4F cabin. - no shelves in the closet; hanging space only. Very inconvenient for shorts, swimsuits, etc. - The air conditioning adjustments are done via vent on the ceiling. There is no instruction or markings and this is very hard to adjust. - The lights in the bathroom take forever to come on! - Take a nightlight and power strip 8210 - we booked three in this cabin...notable: the 3rd sleeps on a cot on the floor. With three in the room, there is zero room for suitcases or other storage. The cabin steward could not clean up because the floor was 100% occupied.

Snuba

(3)
I am giving this excursion a 3 because my party's equipment had to be changed out several times before they could begin the tour. While my family said it was OK, they said being tethered to the group air tank float limited their swimming range and speed and it was not as fun as they expected it to be. Despite some of the pictures that show an underwater scooter, this excursion is a swimming only excursion. My family will do a scuba excursion next time. I chickened out and did not swim with the family...as the instructor said "nose breather...not so good with this". I enjoyed an adult beverage and snack at the restaurant. The guacamole was very good. Kids ate nachos and fries after the excursion and enjoyed them. Prices were fair; service was good. Massages and henna tattoos are also available from a vendor at the location. Extras...lockers cost $3 each and pictures are $10 each. Transportation back to the cruise terminal is included in the excursion price.
Read 4 Snuba Reviews

We selected the Xumal excursion. The bus was nice and the tour host was knowledgeable. The site has been well maintained and is one of the few sites in which you can still climb on the ruins. Although the number of structures you can enter and climb are limited. The tour guide was very personable and knowledgeable. My teens were more interested in the huge number of iguanas lazying around the site. Big ones, small ones, all colors. I don't believe anyone ate the "box lunch". It was a sad looking sandwich, banana and some strange looking brown nuggets and think were cookies...no one in my group would try them. We enjoyed a snack at the restaurant located at the site. Service is a slower pace than in the US. The food was tasty and worth the cost. There were a few vendors outside the exhibit but they did not have any US change so we did not shop with them. I was glad that the bus took us back to the cruise terminal instead of dropping us at the market in town. We have visited Progresso 4 other times and we have always been dropped at the in town market and forced to catch the shuttle back to the ship.
Read 284 Progreso Reviews