Carnival Breeze Cruise Review by TJblueeyes: Very happy with Carnival Breeze

Very happy with Carnival Breeze

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Europe - Western Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

My 15-year-old daughter and I (first time cruisers) took the Carnival Breeze Mediterranean cruise. I was anticipating some rough spots because this is a brand new ship, but really I could not believe how well run everything was. (The only hitches in our trip had to do with airline travel, some of the staff at the Tryp Apolo hotel in Barcelona, and the Carnival-sponsored transfer from hotel to ship.)

All of the crew were very friendly and efficient. The boarding and disembarking went incredibly smoothly. The food was always very good and it took tons of will-power to eat in moderation! All inquiries and issues were immediately dealt with, and the guest Services and the Shore Excursions staff were great. There were supposedly 4,404 people on this ship and it almost never felt crowded! The only thing that could have been improved upon were the laundry facilities. 9 washing machines and 9 dryers for 4,404 people - really? Otherwise, I would give this ship and cruise line More high marks.

A learning experience for me - we took mostly Carnival shore excursions and really I would not recommend them for the most part - I did it because I was traveling alone with my daughter and I am not a brave or experienced traveler, and the thought of missing the ship was more than I could deal with. Our best days were when we took "On your own" tours where Carnival got us to the city (such as Rome) and back to the ship, and we were on our own while there. Less

Read more Carnival Breeze cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Breeze Review >>

I wish we had spent more time in Barcelona - either arrived 2 days early instead of 1, or taken a later flight home to take a quick excursion between ship and flight. Barcelona is a great place and I plan to go back.

Walking the Walls

(3)
This was unforgettable and Dubrovnik is beautiful. We stayed on our own and took the Carnival shuttle back, which saved which might have been a negative experience. Our tour guide was charming and informative but was a physically fit young man who walked too fast and didn't notice that he left half of our group behind due to the extreme heat and frequent flights of steps. We did opt to stay in Dubrovnik and take the Carnival shuttle back to the ship, because the tour was very short. If I had to do it over, I would take the Carnival shuttle into Dubrovnik and walk the walls on my own at my own pace. But we did love Dubrovnik.

Tuscany Walking Tour

(5)
This, after Rome, was the highlight of our trip. We knew that between 2 days in Rome and 2 days in Venice we might appreciate the villages on this particular port, rather than the crowds in Florence. The best Carnival tour that we went on. We visited 2 small Tuscan villages and had a fabulous lunch and exploring time, and our tour guide was wonderful.

Cassis Walking Tour

(1)
huge disappointment. Lengthy bus ride through unattractive neighborhood and ended up with just 45 minutes to walk through Cassis! Excursion guide was unfriendly and defensive. Would not recommend the Carnival tour. Biggest disappointment of our port excursions.

City Tour

(5)
Day 1 in Rome - we took a private tour with 3 other families and it was a fabulous experience in spite of the heat and the crowds. Rome in Limo is a great tour company. This was a great day. day 2 in Rome - we took the "Rome on your own" through Carnival and another great day. Rome was probably the highlight of our entire trip. Watch out for the pickpockets though!

City Tour

(3)
We did the "Taormina on your own" Carnival tour and again if I had to do it over, I would have gotten to Taormina some other way to allow more time and done something more interesting than walk the touristy shops for 4 hours in the extreme heat. There are good sights in the area and it would have been fun to have had more time. For instance, The Greek Theater might have been a good sight to see but we didn't have time for it.

Murano Island

(4)
Day 1 in Venice: took the Carnival shuttle and return. This did not go very smoothly and it was so hot and massively crowded, we had a hard time enjoying our 2.5 hours in Venice with a very expensive transport. Day 2 in Venice: took the Murano-Burano island tour with Carnival. Bought a scarf in one of the villages for 2 Euro more than the same scarf in Venice. Did not return to the ship with the Carnival transportation but stayed in Venice several more hours and returned on our own. Still hot and massively crowded but this was a better day than day #1. I did not love Venice - there, I said it. Rome was much more interesting.