Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by CruisingAg01: Glad to Have Sailed the Spirit

Glad to Have Sailed the Spirit

Sail Date: July 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This was a fantastic trip and I had a great time. July 10 -- 17th, round trip from Seattle, WA. We cruised the Tracy Arm Fjord and stopped at Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria, BC. First time to Alaska and my third cruise ever.

We came from Texas and my hat is off to any of you forced to fly in to a port on a regular basis. We flew Southwest for the two free bags and the flights were all good, but the travel was long. We stayed at the Hyatt Place/Downtown on 6th Ave, near the Space Center. Good area, but not as close to Pier 91. The hotel arranged a shuttle (Seattle Shuttle) which we also used on our return trip.

Seattle is a great place and I was glad we got to spend at least half a day wandering around. If time and money permitted, I would have loved to spend more time in the area.

Embarkation was easy. We arrived a little before noon and were on the ship in less than an hour. Many people had arrived before us and the Lido buffet was crowded this More first day. I don't recall exactly when we got into our rooms and got our baggage, but it was reasonable and I think we were in our rooms by 2 pm. I will say no one was really directing us anywhere, but I had been poring over deck plans for a while and knew where I was going.

Many people on board and on shore commented that we had exceptional weather. There was a slight drizzly rain in Skagway, but clear skies and nice, cool temps in all other ports. Some fog and slight roughness on the last two days headed back to Seattle, but nothing I would consider a problem. I agree with the general advice of wearing layers. It was the wind that got to us outside; the inside of the ship and the dome pool area were heated. I brought a warm jacket and wore it on the glacier, but did not need it. A good sweater/sweatshirt/hoodie was fine. I never made it to the waterslides (there is always something I don't have time to do on a cruise) but did swim one afternoon and enjoyed the warm water. We also played a windy game of mini-golf.

The naturalist, Michelle, was good. I attended one of her shows where she previewed the types of wildlife and wilderness we would be experiencing. I missed her other show, but was hoping to attend. I also enjoyed listening to her over the intercom, but was frustrated at being unable to hear her while in my room with the door closed. Ch. 15 was supposed to carry these announcements, but I never got that to work. Nor would I have wanted to keep Ch. 15 on in the background all day long. It was elevator music and a view of the ship for me.

Food was fine. Most of it was good and a few dishes were just okay. The Lido buffet was predictably crowded on the first day, but I never experienced that crowding again. Chopsticks was wonderful, as was the pizza bar and deli/sandwich area. The morning omelet station was also very good and rarely busy. They also make non-omelet eggs to order. I missed the Chocolate Buffet completely. I must have been late to lunch that day because it was taken down before I even got there. The MDR waiters sang on two nights -- the 2nd night and the last night, I believe. They also danced on either the 3rd or 4th night, but I missed both these dinners.

We used drink tickets for the first time and had no issues. I'm not sure I'll use them in the future simply because it was a hassle keeping that extra paper around and digging it out to hand over. I like to save money, but it sure is easier to just hand over your sign & sail card.

Entertainment was okay. I tend to really enjoy the shows, but was disappointed because the Jazz/Big Band/Mardi Gras style being promoted did not interest me. I still loved the spectacle of it all and the singing and dancing was good, it just wasn't my thing. The comedians were hit and miss for me (two of these guys were just not funny at all) and while I enjoyed the hypnotist, it felt a bit too casual. I want more pizzazz and maybe some special effects! I was also a bit disappointed that I missed some minor shows entirely due to late dining (the gender show, etc.) and on the very last day there seemed to be nothing interesting on the schedule. Luckily we were tired by that time and used the day to nap a bit.

The CD, Chris, was fine, but he and his staff are not my favorite. A bit too casual for me and trying to be silly seemed to be their thing. I suspect that in real life these are funny, nice people to hang out with, but watching them try to be funny as part of their job was not as great. I do believe Chris left the ship at the end of the cruise, either for a scheduled break or a new opportunity.

The ports are what Alaska is all about. We did a 3 hour train tour in Skagway, Helicopter/dog sledding in Juneau and the Bering Sea Crab Boat in Ketchikan. I do wish we had more time in Ketchikan. I recommend any of these tours, as well as just generally walking around the towns. I had hoped to do a longer train tour in Skagway that made a stop in Canada, but some members of my group did not have passports. I booked the helicopter/sledding tour in Juneau independent of the ship. We did eat in port in Skagway (Skagway Brewing Co.) and Juneau (Red Dog Saloon). Although touristy, both of these locations served good food. Perhaps we just worked up an appetite, but the fish and chips in Skagway were the best I have ever eaten.

Debarking is a breeze. We should have booked an earlier flight out of Seattle because we were at the airport by 9 am without any effort on our part. Had we tried, I am sure we could have been off the ship and through customs shortly after 7 am. Breakfast that morning started at 5:30.

Overall this reads a bit more negatively than I intended. The ship is gorgeous and there is still plenty to do onboard. I swam and played mini-golf and attended most shows. Nothing really negative, but I have had slightly better experiences (food, entertainment, CD) on other ships. I'd book this same cruise again, but I'd hope for a different CD and a different run of shows. Less

Read more Carnival Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Spirit Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Spirit Balcony Main 4223

Our room was clean and well laid out (#4223). I believe this is an 8A category cabin on the Starboard side. The bathroom showed it's age a bit and the sleeper couch was looking a bit dingy. My cabin mate claims it was firm, but comfortable. This was my first balcony and it was nice and was used, but I do see how it makes the room smaller. With three adults in the room I would have liked to have that space back. We were also right above the MDR, but had no noise or smell issues. Very few people strolling the decks below us. Some aft movement, but nothing serious. My sister was in #4209 and the cabins were identical and both slept three people.

Dog Sledding

(5.5)
The dog sled camp was great. I believe the camp is run by Blue Kennels, but the tour package is offered and managed through Coastal Helicopters. A musher met us at the helicopter and took pictures and introduced us to the dogs, etc. Very personable and we had a great time. I'm in awe of the beautiful landscape they live in during the summer. Highly recommend this tour!

Helicopter Tour

(5.5)
I booked a Coastal Helicopters and Dog Sledding tour independent of Carnival. We had one person in our party right on the 250 lb. weight limit and I didn't want to pay an extra half seat for Carnival. Coastal allowed up to 280 lbs. This was an incredible experience and the absolute highlight of our entire trip. My first helicopter ride and it was so smooth and exciting despite my normal apprehension about flying. A driver picked us up right out of the ship and their staff helped us get suited up with protective footwear and rain gear. None of this was necessary due to our perfect weather, but they are prepared.

Mount Roberts Tramway

(3)
Afterwards we purchased Mt. Roberts Tram tickets on the pier. This was a nice view, but we didn't have time to do anything up top other than see the captive bald eagle. There is a restaurant and gift shop, but we were running out of time. I would have loved to hike up and ride the tram down or vice versa like we saw some locals do. Length of time in port was okay, but we could have stayed longer.

Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour

(5)
Booked the Bering Sea Crab Tour through Carnival. As fans of the Deadliest Catch, we enjoyed this. The boat is revamped and in fact offers 3 of the nicest restrooms I saw on the entire trip. They provided complimentary hot beverages and a snack and had a small gift shop on board. We saw and handled three types of crab and saw an octopus. The men all told their stories and were good in front of the crowd. Plenty of photo ops. One unexpected bonus -- a short stop where they fed bald eagles and we got to see quite a few of them in action. A bit pricey and something I'd probably only do once, but still very much worth it. I had about an hour in port after the excursion and just wandered a bit on Creek Street. Didn't even look at half of the port and would have appreciated more time.

White Pass Scenic Railway

(4)
White Pass and Yukon Railway (through Carnival) was nice. We had some fog and snow at the very end of the line (is it accurate to say the top?) but the cars were well heated and each included a toilet. I spent most of my time outside on the platform taking pictures. This route did not stop in Canada or go by the Emerald Lake. I would have preferred to do so, but was traveling with people who did not possess passports. Still, the route was interesting (tunnels, bridges and waterfalls) and the scenery got better the higher up we went. Also, this shorter trip (only three hours) allowed us time to walk around town, eat and do some shopping afterwards. This was the only port where I had time to shop. Only negatives: there were no signs directing us to the train when we first got off the ship. Many of us ended up in a Princess line until someone sorted us out and directed us further down the pier. Also, the train was a bit crowded and there was sometimes a crowd standing on the outside platform trying to take pictures.

I didn't get off the ship in Victoria, partially due to the timing but also because the excursions seemed pricey and I didn't want to wander aimlessly on my own. The weather seemed to be great though and other cruisers said it was a beautiful city. My sister did get off the ship with no particular plans and after eating dinner she wandered back since there was really nothing specific to do.
Read 555 Victoria Reviews