Oasis of the Seas Cruise Review by yllib77: Sadly disappointed

Member Since 2012

Compare Prices on Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Sadly disappointed

Sail Date: June 2012

My wife and I love to cruise and this was our 6th time out. We have sailed Celebrity 3 times, and Carnival and Royal Caribbean each once. We were sold on the Oasis b/c of long list of events, shows, etc to do while on board. We were sadly disappointed.
We found that the service didn't live up to even prior sailings on Carnival and Royal. And the service was way behind that of Celebrity. We generally do a higher class room b/c we prefer to go out and be treated differently and pampered while cruising and this cruise was anything but a floating hotel, which was our first experience of that type of service. We were not allowed a pitcher of water in our room, again the first time that has happened to us. Since we drink a lot of water that is disappointing. Also, the room service menu is very small for all meals. They don't even serve pancakes for breakfast. The meals were okay but none were fantastic or overboard. Again didn't live up to any past cruises. The service at More dinner was just average as well from our head waiter and assistant waiter. I waited for my water to be refilled sometimes up to 20 minutes. It was the first time in all of our cruises that we didn't tip our service people extra money and we actually took some tip away from others. The other part is that we chose the late seating. They were much more limited in shows that we thought b/c most of the shows were planned during our dinner, so we had to either skip dinner or skip the show. Lastly, we couldn't get over how many kids and teenagers were on this ship. of the 6300 guests we were told that more than 2500 were kids and teenagers. The ship is not that big and they were everywhere and not always taking care of the stuff they were using. With the ship being an international ship 18 year olds are able to drink so we found that there were a bunch of younger kids drunk all over as well.
Our biggest disappointment though was our jewelry shopping. We were in awe of the blue diamonds that were on board. We were informed of the brand Sophia Fiori and how high of quality the brand was. They(royal caribbean sales people and a representative from Sophia Fiori) stated repeatedly that all the diamonds were untreated and completely natural and that the value was much higher than the prices they were selling them for. Sadly we purchased a set and came home to have it appraised. It was appraised for $1000 less than what we paid (which was only $3400). They also mislead us on the quality of the diamonds. They stated that it was high quality in the cut and clarity and the appraisal came back that it was in the lowest category for both. So far we are being told that they don't do refunds but a 20% restocking fee even though we were mislead and misinformed. I would say to be very careful with listening to where they tell you to shop in ports as well b/c the product there is the same and the customer service in those shops is even worse.
It is a sad thing to think that I will probably never buy jewelry in a setting like this again after being burned like this. Less

Read more Oasis of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oasis of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Oasis of the Seas Superior Oceanview Stateroom with Balcony Deck 6 10278

Our cabin was 10278. It was a nice room with a good size closet and decent bath room. I was a little shocked in how much I could feel the ships engines. We shook a lot, which bothered myself but not my wife.