Amsterdam Cruise Review by Watson's aunt

Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: C
See More About: Amsterdam Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Holland America Cruise Deals
Member Rating   5+ out of 5+
Dining 5+
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Ship Facts: Amsterdam Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Amsterdam Deck Plans
14 days in Alaska
This is my second time in two years on the Amsterdam 14 day cruise to Alaska. (thanks to my brother and sister in law) I was going to wait another year to go back to Alaska but when I saw Holland America was dropping this cruise I had to come back.

The Amsterdam is a wonderful ship. I saw crew always cleaning and painting it. Going last year I knew just what beauty I was going to see. The only thing I did not like was we were not going up the inside passage. I travel as a solo passenger. Last year I had a friend coming but she got very ill two weeks before the cruise and could not go. (GET INSURANCE) I found out I loved sailing solo. Night before the cruise I had a wonderful dinner with other cc's going on this cruise.

I got to the pier early and I was in my room Group 2 by 11:45. I dropped my carry ons and went to get my power surge plug. (Free if you return it)I went to Dining room for lunch only to find out it was closed for a private party. So I went up to Lido for lunch.

Friday: Left Seattle on time. Went to crows nest for sail-a-way with New friends

Saturday: had breakfast delivered to room. looked out window to clouds and rain

Walked around ship. At lunch meet friends from Thursday night. I completely forgot the meet and greet. this was number one thing I wanted to do at the start of this cruise.

My cabin was much smaller than the inside cabin I had last year #2604. Bathroom was tiny but it had a tub which I used and was wonderful since I was walking a lot.

Food wow I looked forward every day for dinner. I ate every night in the MDR. I had late seating. I don't want to be rushed if I am on shore. I could take a little nap between happy hour and dinner.

My Dinner's were excellent. the Lamb melted in my mouth, Chilled soups, every thing I order came in a reasonable time and hot. My table mates took there time and we enjoyed dinner every night. As last year my table was the last to leave as we talked and talked.

the weather was crummy cloudy and cold. (I am from northeast) If we saw the sun it was not very long until the end of the cruise Wednesday before Victoria.

The cruise was wonderful I did take a few excursions.

Juneau I took ships tour Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter. Oh wonderful wonderful.

I love Sitka. I wish they would stay longer here

I took a bus I think 3.00 round trip to Fortress of the bear and Rapture center. ll I can say its wonderful at the bears. You can stay as long as you want. No need for taxi. Bus runs every hour.this was my 3rd time here and there is way too much to see and not enough time.

One thing I have to say. I think we were in Juneau and we sail late. I saw something I will never forget. All along the shore people had bonfires and we shooting off fireworks (It was July 4th) I had my brother little camera that takes video. I hope the video came out. I am having problems trying to figure out how to download it. It will not download. I having my cousin come look at it.

If I ever go back to Alaska I would probably go back when its July 4th just for that.

The crew was wonderful.