Amsterdam Cruise Review by Watson's aunt: 14 days in Alaska

14 days in Alaska

Sail Date: June 2012
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

This is my second time in two years on the Amsterdam 14 day cruise to Alaska. (thanks to my brother and sister in law) I was going to wait another year to go back to Alaska but when I saw Holland America was dropping this cruise I had to come back.

The Amsterdam is a wonderful ship. I saw crew always cleaning and painting it. Going last year I knew just what beauty I was going to see. The only thing I did not like was we were not going up the inside passage. I travel as a solo passenger. Last year I had a friend coming but she got very ill two weeks before the cruise and could not go. (GET INSURANCE) I found out I loved sailing solo. Night before the cruise I had a wonderful dinner with other cc's going on this cruise.

I got to the pier early and I was in my room Group 2 by 11:45. I dropped my carry ons and went to get my power surge plug. (Free if you return it)I went to Dining room for lunch only to find out it was closed for a private party. So I went up to Lido for More lunch.

Friday: Left Seattle on time. Went to crows nest for sail-a-way with New friends

Saturday: had breakfast delivered to room. looked out window to clouds and rain
Walked around ship. At lunch meet friends from Thursday night. I completely forgot the meet and greet. this was number one thing I wanted to do at the start of this cruise.

My cabin was much smaller than the inside cabin I had last year #2604. Bathroom was tiny but it had a tub which I used and was wonderful since I was walking a lot.

Food wow I looked forward every day for dinner. I ate every night in the MDR. I had late seating. I don't want to be rushed if I am on shore. I could take a little nap between happy hour and dinner.
My Dinner's were excellent. the Lamb melted in my mouth, Chilled soups, every thing I order came in a reasonable time and hot. My table mates took there time and we enjoyed dinner every night. As last year my table was the last to leave as we talked and talked.

the weather was crummy cloudy and cold. (I am from northeast) If we saw the sun it was not very long until the end of the cruise Wednesday before Victoria.

The cruise was wonderful I did take a few excursions.

Juneau I took ships tour Mendenhall Glacier by Helicopter. Oh wonderful wonderful.I love Sitka. I wish they would stay longer here
I took a bus I think 3.00 round trip to Fortress of the bear and Rapture center. ll I can say its wonderful at the bears. You can stay as long as you want. No need for taxi. Bus runs every hour.this was my 3rd time here and there is way too much to see and not enough time.

One thing I have to say. I think we were in Juneau and we sail late. I saw something I will never forget. All along the shore people had bonfires and we shooting off fireworks (It was July 4th) I had my brother little camera that takes video. I hope the video came out. I am having problems trying to figure out how to download it. It will not download. I having my cousin come look at it.

If I ever go back to Alaska I would probably go back when its July 4th just for that.

The crew was wonderful.

Mary Less

Read more Amsterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Amsterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Amsterdam Large Oceanview Stateroom Lower Promenade 3355

I rated rates #1 because as a solo traveler I think the rates are to high. I love to cruise but the cost is just to high. Value I gave a 5 I had a wonderful time and I could not put a value on that. Its really to bad that HAL is discontinuing this cruise. Its a wonderful cruise. Also some of the ports on not on any cruise lines now. Also HAL does not give a solo passenger dooble Mariners points even though they are paying for another fare.

Helicopter Tour

(5.5)
wonderful. I was lucky to get a front seat. I would be very unhappy if I was seated in the middle in the back seats. I say by the door on way out and said to lady next to me she could sit by the door on way back. Its a wonderful trip. I walked around town and did some shopping. I got a free ulu at some store I was in and when I went in to the federal building I was stopped. I was told to go to the Information center across the street and leave it there.So I did. I remembered it at dinner. I called the next day and they sent it to me I received it this week. Juneau is a beautiful city. I also took the bus to Mendenhall Glacier the weather was getting bad and it started to rain. Its a wonderful place to spend a day here

Mendenhall Glacier

(5.5)
Last year I walked the Nugget trail to water fall. I was snapping away with my two Canon camera's. When I got to the falls we lost the beautiful sunshine and clouds and rain began to fall. I wanted to change my batteries so I opened camer and to my horror I did not have a flash card. Bith of my camera's were missing thier flash cards. I remember emoving them the night before. I have a lot of flash cards. so a lot of my photo on way back has rain drops on the lens or they are dark and glommy. You must come here. I walked about half way again but it started to pour so I turned around and headed back

Shoppers delight. They give you a book just before you board ship in Seattle and you can get all kinds of free goodies sometimes if you buy things. Some stuff just free. But you have to walk and walk to find free stuff. Most made in China. Last year I bought tee shirts made in America. Weather was cold and drizzle to rain. I want to walk up to old part of town but I did not want to get wet as it started to rain

Boeing Factory Tour

(3)
I was not impressed and I tought it was going to be different. A 2 1/2 tour turned out to be 5+ hour tour. Traffic and to long at factory just standing around. I was on the 1:30 tour and returned to hotel just before 6