Norwegian Jade Cruise Review by Cleo2012

Cruise Date: June 2012
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Eastern Mediterranean
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Jade Cruise Reviews | Eastern Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Good and BAD (beware of illness on the Jade) - Eastern Med
We sailed in late June on the Jade out of Venice. Note: Venice is expensive and was the most inefficient embarkation and disembarkation that we've had in our cruise experiences. We were initially impressed by the ship. A clean appearance was maintained etc. However, after the first days, we would occasionally smell a sewage odor up in the gym and aft in our deck 11 stateroom area. The worst side of our trip was 3 of us falling ill. My son was the first to fall sick (this is a kid who washes and sanitizes his hands regularly). Then my husband..and then me. Fortunately, no one else in our group got sick, but there was some illness coursing through the ship, as they circulated a flyer about the virus on our last day. I suspect my son may have gotten sick on the one time he went swimming in the ship's pool which was inundated with people every day, and likely not properly shocked. Or...it was from food.

On the ports: Athens was great; Croatia - so, so. Our group seemed to enjoy Turkey the most (I did not experience due to tending a sick child). The Split, Croatia, tender situation was a joke - and dangerous! We waited two hours to be able to board a tender into Split. When we returned to the ship, they had issues with waves and safely getting passengers aboard. They did not have enough crew attending in this situation.

Our cabin stewardess was fantastic - my hat is off to her. Food was OK. Nothing to write home about.

My overall advice: don't do the Med in the summer. Too many other Europeans traveling;and it's too hot (also impacts the views as air pollution/smog was very bad); and...if you go I would seriously advise going on Celebrity for 10 days; or possibly RCL

Publication Date: 07/19/12