Norwegian Sun Cruise Review by lovenewsights

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Copenhagen
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Cabin Category: BA
See More About: Norwegian Sun Cruise Reviews | Baltic & Northern Europe Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals
Entertainment Not Rated

Ship Facts: Norwegian Sun Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Norwegian Sun Deck Plans
Our Family Had a Baltic Blast!
We booked this cruise for our 3 single 20 something children, my husband and myself 10 months prior through an internet cruise specialist agency. We booked our non refundable direct flight the same week through an internet travel site. The prices on the air fares dropped significantly around Christmas and January for "Summer Specials". No price adjustment was allowed without canceling and rebooking and suffering severe penalties from the online travel agency and the airlines. They only came up to our price a few weeks before our departure. Our cruise price also dropped significantly, just prior to the cruise. NCL did however give ourselves and others stateroom upgrades to help compensate, but it still didn't come up to the price that we paid. I will say though that I turned down an NCL offer of a more expensive state room, because there's be no improvement of stateroom and it was located in what I felt was a lesser location. Next time I think I would book the airfare and cruise directly with the actual companies and push for a lowest price guarantee.

I found the NCL Sun to be just fine. Embarkation took about 30-40 minutes at noon, but our rooms were ready. Our stateroom was on the starboard side which I think was better. It was also pier side for all stops except one. (Helsinki I think.) Our midships balcony stateroom had plenty of storage, a great steward Alvin and friendly food service. The shower is definitely small, so I got wet,turned off the water and soaped up and then rinsed and repeated. You'll have good water pressure. I wore everything from a heavy fleece jacket under a windbreaker to a tank top on this trip. I packed too much and with the Freestyle Dining I could have packed in a carry on. We ate at Seven Seas most nights and it was fine. Nice jeans and a polo were acceptable in the MDR's for the men. Roll up pants, capris and a maybe a dress for the women. We were a family of 5, so tried most of the entrees and found very few things to be really bad. I was tiring of the choices by cuises end though. We some breakfasts in the Seven Seas and some early ones at the 2 Aft Buffets. We ate at the buffets throughout the day as though crowded they changed up their menu a bit. We ate at the Teppanyaki Japanese Steak House and the kids liked it, but I thought it was overpriced, didn't feel authentic and service was definitely rushed. We celebrated a birthday in Moderno Churrascaria and had great service and a great evening.

The kids went to the Magician's show and weren't impressed. I was wiped out every night, so we mostly attended Trivia and Name That Tune with a Pina Colada in the afternoons and did not attend the evening shows in The Star Dust. The sky is light until late at night, so you'd look at your watch and it is 11PM! Walking all over these towns will make you love the ship's beds. Be sure to play "Where's Waldo?". Waldo was working Bar Service at the Topsider Bar for our cruise and is one of the Sun's greatest non stop concierge assets.

We transferred back to the airport by 7:30AM NCL bus,so Disembarkation was no trouble. We arrived at the airport quickly, which made for a long wait till noon boarding though. Was this trip on this ship worth it? Absolutely!!!

Publication Date: 07/19/12