Carnival Spirit Cruise Review by Rusty Stumps

Cruise Date: July 2012
Embarkation: Seattle
Destination: Alaska
Cabin Category: 8G
See More About: Carnival Spirit Cruise Reviews | Alaska Cruise Reviews | Carnival Cruise Deals

Carnival Spirit Rm 8234, the Room from Hell
Unfortunately we booked this room for the Carnival Spirit Alaskan July 10-17, 2012 cruise before seeing reviews about how bad this particular room was. It lived up totally to it's reputation.

I'm turning 70 but agile but my wife recently had something happen to her back and needs a walker. this set up issues all along the way.

Two things happened to set the stage to begin this cruise. First was my fault alone. I had all the paperwork for the trip in a folder and lost it on the plane in our first leg of the journey to the ship. The airline couldn't move it to our gate fast enough and we left without it. this set up the second problem. On arrival at Sea-Tac airport I approached the Carnival representative and told them of my plight. 'No problem we were told and she proceeded to make up bag tags so our luggage would be delivered to our room. Should have checked her as she wrote three different room numbers on the tags and none of them were correct.

Needless to say, our luggage didn't arrive at or room but I did get a summons by Carnival security to retrieve one bag. Seeing it was locked they insisted I unlock it and proceed to search it. Finding a bottle of wine the confisacted it. I protested that I was allowed one bottle per bag as stated on the Carnival website. Nope, they would keep it and also my outlet strip as the felt I was going to take down the entire electric system on the ship if I used it. Yes, I was pissed by this time. I then found the other bag in the 'lost and found'. Nice to have to deliver your own bags to your room.

I proceeded to tell the people in the Empire restaurant that I would not buy one drop of wine while on the cruise seeing they confiscated my $7 bottle whic we had to celebrate out 50th wedding anniversary. Next morning the wine was in our cabin.

I digress. On boarding the ship we were told to proceed to the rear of the ship to have something to eat and found that ment the 9th (Lido) deck. What a feeding frenzy. Thought we were at the "International reunion of Wal-Mart custsomers" given the wide array of individals there. Truthfully I wondered how a number of them could have afforded the cost of a cruise, seriously.

Cabin 8234 is actually a very nice cabin. Quite spacious in a bit of an 'L' shape. Large handicap bathroom that was well laid out. It has a large, 12" wide, floor drain across the door opening as well as a second drain within the shower perimeter. This of course is to catch all water should one take a shower while at sea. They do put down a mat to dry and divert the water to the closest drain. The balcony was great but you really can't use it much on an Alaskan cruise so don't waste your money on a balcaony room.

That night we learned the truth about Cabin 8235. It's on the Port side right under one of the kitchens of the Lido deck. At 3 AM they start cleaning and preparing breakfast. They do this by dropping steel bowling balls from about 4" high onto the ceramic tile, glued to the steel decking, and let them roll around. They also have real nice carts with square wheels they like to drag around every so often. Couple this with the fact the room is sided by a Porter Closet and the PORTER ELEVATOR. All night long, early mornings included, they are running in and out of the closet letting the door SLAM. This is right at the head of the bed in room 8234. Nice huh?

Seems that the Guest Services have never really known or understood that there was an issue with noise in this particular room. In fact near the end of the cruise I had one Guest Services Rep tell me that there was noise in all rooms on a cruise ship. Basically get over it.

I complained to the head of the kitchen on the Lido deck and they actually stopped the noise. I didn't get the same results from Guest Services on the porter closet until after I had posted "Do Not Slam Door" signs myself on the doors of both porter closets. Oh, I forgot, there was also one across from our room they liked to slam. Must be they liked sterio bangs.

A porter finally told me it was the closing mechanism on the doors that was the issue.

I went to Guest services yet again and they got someone up there and finally on the fifth night we had no noise. Sixth night wasn't quite as good but better than earlier. The last night, forget it but it wasn't all the ships staff as there were late night revelers returning from Victoria at 2 AM yelling and hollering.

Carnival did give us $650 back on our cost and a 15% discount on another cruise. Thing is, I would rather have paid the money and had a quieter cruise. This is something that Carnival doesn't seem atuned to, they are TOO money focused and think that solves everything, it doesn't.

Other than those issues with the room we had a fairly pleasant cruise and did a number of excusions.

The Steam Train ride up over White Pass is fantastic even with the clouds. Well worth the money in our book. We did have a family of people from india that seemed to get louder and louder. We finally moved to the back of the car. I did hang on the back platform, we were in the last car, and go some fantastic shots. I stayed out there even in the tunnels and got some shots out throught he portals.

The Whale watching in Juneau was totally awsome, to borrow a younger phrase. We saw 20 humpback whales bubble net feeding and I got some real good breaching shots of that with whales coming up in the frenzy mouths open.

Only walked around Ketchican. Wished the ship had posted info on local church services. Seems they don't want you giving money except to them.

Victoria was quick as we docked at 7:30 PM. We did take the horse drawn trolley ride which was nice but it got rather chilly near the end.

Meals in the main dining room were nice but repeated almost every day with a few changes. Overall, too much food. [grin] but that's cruising I guess.

Yes, we will take another cruise and most likely Carnival again and also most likely ALaska. Just book early and get a cabin on decks 5,6 or 7 midship.

Walt